Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nam0822

Solid State Member
Hi, ive been out of the computer world for about a year because i joined the marine corps and now ive reached my duty station, i got time to play some games on my computer, but the thing is some of the games ive been playing are giving me some really low fps, like this one game that came out with a expansion, World of Warcarft, i got like 30 and below fps, i guessing its my video card here is my detailed spec of my computer,

CPU: AMD Athlonâ„¢64 4000
Mobo: GA-K8NXP-SLI
RAM: CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB)
Hard Drive: WD Caviar SE
VC: Gigabyte 3D1 GeForce 6600GT SLI
PSU: Aerocool 550w

was looking at getting 2x GeForce 9800 GT 512MB so i can put them in SLI mode, what would i have to get get this to work, get a better PSU? i know that my mobo is not 2.0 for the PCIe, but really now, i just want to play wow at really high fps like up in the 100+, as a marine i dont have time to get back in game to upgrade my computer, can you plz help me out guys : )

Nice of ppl to reply so rapidly :) Welcome to tech forums were notmally a bit more prompt and friendly :p.

WOW actually has some quite low system requirements I would get just a single 9800gt. Your in limbo with the rest of your components really if you want better performance it would require replacing the mobo/ram/cpu but if your happy with current speed generally then the 9800gt will be able to tide you over for a fcouple more years of gaming. It is generally accepted that the human eye can't see over 60fps+ and most monitors are 75hz frequency so the max they can display is 75fps.

Welcome. TBH I think you are pretty good how you are with those specs, possibly RAM might need looking at (especially since it is so cheap now).

DDR isn't cheap its expensive...... its old gen tech less is available so they crank up the price first rule of economics supply/ demand

You don't need sli though and your cpu and ram would be a bottleneck its probably a small bottleneck with just one 9800gt. If you want to spend extra money then rebuild the computer completely but a 9800gt singular will tide you over in terms of gaming for a good couple of years.

1 9800gt or HD 4830 would be sufficient, and those would bottleneck your A64 4000+!!

See if you can pick up an Opteron 165 (or any dualie for that matter) or something to balance out the rig a little more

as long as your psu has 2 pci-x connectors with the 30 amp rating on the 12v rail you could run 2 9800gt's. and the cpu would be the biggest bottleneck. also look in to the 9600gso if you want to save a little cash and not have a big bottleneck.

there no point in sli with that system, like salty said, ur other components would have to be replaced for it to be worth ur while. one 4830 would be ur best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom