Need a Gaming System for 2k! (List provided, need Suggestions!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated list:

Thermaltake Case - $154.99 - This case looks like a keeper, lots of space, and 4 fans for good cooling for when i overclock my system.

EVGA Motherboard - $249.99 - a couple of you guys suggested this Motherboard. I still dont understand what makes it very good. it only have 2 pci slots idk if that is enough but i dont think i would use that for anything but a soundcard right? 3 pci x16 slots which is nice if i ever want to sli and get a physics card. I also heard this motherboard was good at overclocking.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - $309.99 - The E6600 seems to be the cheapest best chip i can get as the 6700 is like 100-200 more dollars i think. Plus this chip is good at overclocking too.

Corsair XMS2 2GB DDR2 800 - $267.00 ($227 after $40 rebate) - Some guys told me to get this memory. Seems like a good deal if the 40 mail in rebate stays there till Jan. Other then that it seems a little expensive for being 5-5-5-5-12 timing and cas 5. Is Corsair really good memory or something? I had G.Skill memory with 4-4-4-4-12 timings or something with cas 4 for only $230. maybe G.skill sucks or something?

GeForce 8800GTX - $629.99 - I love this card. Looks too good to give up. It's a directx10 card and should be a very good card for a long time. Some people said i should get the 8800gts for about $200 or so less. Sounds good but I cant seem to find a site where they compare the two cards so I could see the loss I would be taking in.

2x Western Digital 250GB - $149.98 - 2x of these for Raid 0. Only question I have here is if you guys think i should maybe just get a 74GB Raptor at 10k RPM and maybe get another one later on for Raid 0? Or do you think it wouldnt make much of a difference and just stick to two of these?

Samsung DVD Burner - $32.99 - Pretty cheap and has Lightscribe which seems cool, I dont know if Ill ever Burn anything on a CD but something to keep handy I guess.

ZALMAN CNPS9500 - $42.99 - Heard it is the Best cooling device for the price which is good for me because like i said i plan on overclocking my computer.

Artic Silver 5 - $5.99 - Thermal gel for the cpu for extra cooling.

PSU - ??? - I still dont know what PSU to get some people suggested some 700w but I read some article on the forums that a 700w is over doing it. So I still need some more suggestions here.

Monitors:

1) 22" 5ms Widescreen Chimei - $338.99 - This is one monitor i picked out because it looks like it got good reviews, looks like a good monitor and cheaper then the SCEPTRE.

2) 22" 5ms Widescreen SCEPTRE - $359.99(339.99 with $20 rebate) - People suggested this monitor looks good, more expensive until the mail in rebate comes in.

3) 22" 5ms Widescreen BENQ - $339.99 - Just another 22" montior that looks good.

4) 19" 5ms Widescreen ViewSonic - $189.99(169.99 with $20 rebate) - I still dont know if a 22" montior will be very good or not. I still play cs 1.6 so idk how that would work but i also plan on playing all the newer games too so maybe a 22" montior will be good but this is half the price so idk. What do you guys think?

5) 20.1" 5ms Widescreen SCEPTRE - $249.99 - This is a 20.1 ince montior with the same rez as the 22", looks like it has some good specs and looks pretty good.

I really need help with this monitor issue. I dont know why 22" is really good and stuff. All and All Im buying all the parts in Jan when i file my taxes. But im getting the list together now so im all prepared. Getting a montior seems like its hard. I read about this backlight stuff and dead pixels. Im reading about ghosting and not high enough Refresh Rate.

So anyways how does the list look? I need help getting a PSU and if its a 700w could someone let me know why? I also need help picking out a monitor.

Thanks for reading this!

Most people dont NEED a 22" monitor, it's just nicer to have. Just like your graphics card choice, you don't NEED the 8800GTX, you just want it. I just always enjoy having more landscape to work with since sometimes I do graphic design. I also have my xbox 360 hooked up to my monitor so it's a nice and large view. You don't have to worry about ghosting on any monitors 8ms and under, if you hear someone say that their monitor had some ghosting with a monitor with 8ms or under, they're either the pickiest mofo on the planet and/or just retarded. Dead pixels isn't nearly as big of a problem as it sounds like it is. If you do happen to get one, it will be small and most likely unnoticeable unless you stare right at it, plus there are ways to fix them. I haven't had one in the 3 LCD monitors I've had in my life and a few I've helped friends pick out.

For a PSU, I would get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817371001 650W still might be a little overdoing it, but better safe than sorry since you're planning on getting the 8800GTX which uses a lot of power.

Corsair is good memory, but there's nothing wrong with G.Skill, both are good companies. I'm using G.Skill RAM right now and I wouldn't have gotten it if it sucked :p
Everything else on your system looks like it's going to make you one happy dude.

thanks for the the help. you provided me with good details. I like that PSU, looks good. So you think the G.Skill memory is worth it to get then?

Fayt19 said:
thanks for the the help. you provided me with good details. I like that PSU, looks good. So you think the G.Skill memory is worth it to get then?

By the time you're ready to buy, prices will be different. You're good to go with either brand, they're both good, I would just get whichever is cheapest.

I would also go with evga because of their step up program (even though you wont be stepping up for awhile most likely)

Fayt19 said:
yeah i would never buy a videocard from anyone but EVGA or BFG

I would. There are other good brands out there. I'm pretty sure it's ok to buy from ATI, since, you know, they make half the cards :p Also the following would be safe choices: XFX, Gigabyte, Sapphire, ASUS, HIS, PNY, and Leadtek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom