Need a few hardware suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkala

Solid State Member
I'm in the process of stripping down two oldish computers and upgrading. I haven't built a computer since forever ago, so I'm not completly up to date on the latest hardware.

I'm looking for a machine I can game on, as well as use for photo/video and eventually music editing.

Begin the torrent of questions:

1. How much RAM do I need? I regularly work with files that are over a gig large, and on my 512 on ram currently, photoshopping and rendering is slow as hell.

2. I have six hard drives, a cdrw, and a dvd rom. How good of a power supply do I need?

3. I'm a bit of a gamer too. I like to run stuff at max settings, though most of the time I don't bother with the higher resolutions. I'm currently eyeballing the 6800; is the leadtek version any good?

1. 2gb would be optimal for your situation
2. A good one :p especially if you adding a big gfx card, they suck a lot of juice. I am sure someone can recommend a good one for you if you.
3. If you are stuck with AGP, 6800GT would be your best bet. If you are upgrading your mobo as well and can go PCI-e a 7800GT would be a good choice.

ur gonna have 2 get a large amount of power supply as having to run all those things will take up alot of power.

for example iv had 2 un plug hard drives and stuff so other stuff could work properly i suggest u try and get this bit rite.

idiotec said:
3. If you are stuck with AGP, 6800GT would be your best bet. If you are upgrading your mobo as well and can go PCI-e a 7800GT would be a good choice.

I don't really know if I can afford a 7800GT, though the thought of it makes me drool so.

I'm somewhat on a tight budget, I need a new motherboard, processor, 2 gigs of ram, video card and powersupply good enough for the mass amount of hard drives I have for $500.

As much as I'm an avid gamer, it's a bit more important for me to be able to play with graphics editing for work and my photography than it is to build a gaming machine. It'd just be nice if I could build something that can do both.

I'm a bit torn between getting something that just fills my needs, or please my inner geek and just save up for a machine I can be proud of.

boobo7 said:
ur gonna have 2 get a large amount of power supply as having to run all those things will take up alot of power.

for example iv had 2 un plug hard drives and stuff so other stuff could work properly i suggest u try and get this bit rite.

Anything above 500 Watts will do.

You will need adapter cards if you have that many harddrives and optical drives.

you can only have up to 4 EIDE/ATAPI devices using the 2 IDE channels on the motherboard. 2 For each channal.

I have two IDE Hard drives, two IDE opticals, and two SATA drives, with two more coming in soon. A motherboard with 2 IDE and 4 SATA slots should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom