Need expert advice on a new build. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickin11

Solid State Member
Ok, so I would be willing to spend around $1,300 but would prefer to keep it closer to $1,000. This rig will be for gaming mostly and I would like to choose parts for good/great performance now with room for upgrades later on. I'd also like parts that are good for overclocking even though I am clueless about the process right now, but am willing to learn.

I'll keep updating this list as I get advice.

Intel Q6600 G0
need recommendation for mother board, hoping to find a good combo deal perhaps since those seem to lower the price.

Initially I was all about getting SLI but after reading for a few days I am currently not interested in it. I'd rather save the hassle and the money on the mobo and PSU.

HD - I found a $60 250gb 16mb SATA HD online which I think I'll be happy with. (I have plenty of external storage)

Case - Cheaper the better, don't care about looks at all. Just want it to fit everything and have good airflow.

PSU - I haven't even tried to decide yet until the other components are chosen.

Memory - I'm open to 2gb or 4gb suggestions, I've read the post about recommended parts and can't really see a reason to pick one instead of another. Here's my current idea, not sure if it's good.
$36 (after rebate) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x1GB for now, with option to add 2 more later.

Video cards - This confuses me. 512, 768, 1GB / Superclocked, Overclocked, Overclocked 2...
$180 Palit GeForce 8800 GT Super+1GB Video Card
$180 EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Superclocked Edition, 512MB GDDR3
$230 BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC Video Card - 512MB GDDR3
$399 BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC2 / 768MB GDDR3

Also, I am probably going to get Vista to take advantage of DX10, should I get 64bit and if so what version?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ok, so I would be willing to spend around $1,300 but would prefer to keep it closer to $1,000. This rig will be for gaming mostly and I would like to choose parts for good/great performance now with room for upgrades later on. I'd also like parts that are good for overclocking even though I am clueless about the process right now, but am willing to learn.

I'll keep updating this list as I get advice.

Intel Q6600 G0
need recommendation for mother board, hoping to find a good combo deal perhaps since those seem to lower the price.

Initially I was all about getting SLI but after reading for a few days I am currently not interested in it. I'd rather save the hassle and the money on the mobo and PSU.

HD - I found a $60 250gb 16mb SATA HD online which I think I'll be happy with. (I have plenty of external storage)

Case - Cheaper the better, don't care about looks at all. Just want it to fit everything and have good airflow.

PSU - I haven't even tried to decide yet until the other components are chosen.

Memory - I'm open to 2gb or 4gb suggestions, I've read the post about recommended parts and can't really see a reason to pick one instead of another. Here's my current idea, not sure if it's good.
$36 (after rebate) Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x1GB for now, with option to add 2 more later.

Video cards - This confuses me. 512, 768, 1GB / Superclocked, Overclocked, Overclocked 2...
$180 Palit GeForce 8800 GT Super+1GB Video Card
$180 EVGA GeForce 8800 GT Video Card - Superclocked Edition, 512MB GDDR3
$230 BFG GeForce 8800 GTS OC Video Card - 512MB GDDR3
$399 BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC2 / 768MB GDDR3

Also, I am probably going to get Vista to take advantage of DX10, should I get 64bit and if so what version?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Get a Q6700 after price drop soon
i think ur gonna sli so i think nforce 780i sli mobo
hard drive if ur happy with it ok
2GB of ram is ok
get 8800GTS SLI or 9600GT SLI best bang for ur buck and save some cash
Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium will be fine unless u go with 4GB which u need 64-bit to use all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom