Need Building advice - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Need Building advice

hey guys im trying to decide on an amd build and have been getting mixed reviews. I know there are some intel fanboys out there and i dont want my build being flamed by you. I cant afford a proper intel build so the amd route is definite

Just purchased the fx 6100 for 79.99 couldnt pass it up so I now have about 550-600 usd to finish the build. Will be used for gaming I want to run Guild wars 2 and wow on high settings.

cpu amd fx 6100 zambezi 3.3
mobo gigabyte GA970ud3
psu corsair 650w (sufficient??)
gpu: powercolor Radeon 7850 2GB (or gigabyte 7850 2gb??)
mem: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
hdd: west digital 500gb 7200rpm
opt: DVDRW -lite on or asus whatever's cheapest
case: rosewill challenger the one with 3 fans

Any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from u guys who know alot about the fx series cpus or the bulldozer platform for gaming.. this build will cost roughly 650-750 thats about my budget . Any suggestions for a more efficient build with that same budget would be fantastic as well. Thanks

dreecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Re: Need Building advice

Gigabyte has bad customer support, not recommended

650w should be OK
Radeon should be the better CPU
RAM's fine, you really only need 8GB though
HDD: What "color" HDD? Black? Blue? Green?
Optical's no big deal
Case: rosewill isn't the best company

What are you doing about the OS? And, you really should have gone Intel with such a large budget :P, Bulldozer's OK though.

Matt77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yea its the caviar blue i was looking at ? I have a copy of windows 7 prof. but i could take the extra money from the memory and get a black or a better case. I can return the 6100 if i could seriously get a nice intel build on my budget.. any suggestions?
dreecer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

Nah the FX is fine for that price as you really can't beat it. That is coming from somebody who goes out of his way to build everybody an Intel rig.

Motherboard:
Newegg.com - ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

RAM:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Profile Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

GPU:
Newegg.com - EVGA 02G-P4-3660-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

HDD:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Case:
Newegg.com - Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

If you have Windows 7 then I can assume you have a previous build? If so, use that and grab Windows to USB from Microsoft then put 7 on a flash drive. Or simply reuse the optical.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Choosing AMD is difficult when whoever you ask tells you intel are alot better. i know.
I have an FX 4100 (only a 4100) plus a Radeon 7770 the combination runs everything i want on high settings and i have about 20 games. ( although 'Can You Run it' tells me that i'll only manage medium settings with the frostbyte engine.)
so you should be all fine and life will be peachy!

If i helped you or you like cute and fluffy baby penguins, smash that Thanks button!
Milk_The_Elephnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk_The_Elephnt View Post
Choosing AMD is difficult when whoever you ask tells you intel are alot better. i know.
I have an FX 4100 (only a 4100) plus a Radeon 7770 the combination runs everything i want on high settings and i have about 20 games. ( although 'Can You Run it' tells me that i'll only manage medium settings with the frostbyte engine.)
so you should be all fine and life will be peachy!
Well if you haven't notices, I told him to keep it and gave him suggestions to upgrade other pieces due to the price he paid. Some people will yell Intel or die, but I'm not that way. It all depends on the circumstances at hand.

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
Some people will yell Intel or die, but I'm not that way. It all depends on the circumstances at hand.
My point exactly, i was just providing an opinion of someone who owns an AMD in case Dreecer was still unsure.
i apologize if i sounded like i was taking a jibe at you (PP), it wasnt intentional in any way.

If i helped you or you like cute and fluffy baby penguins, smash that Thanks button!
Milk_The_Elephnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk_The_Elephnt View Post
My point exactly, i was just providing an opinion of someone who owns an AMD in case Dreecer was still unsure.
i apologize if i sounded like i was taking a jibe at you (PP), it wasnt intentional in any way.
No you're good.

Access to my Plex PM me.

Tags
amd, amd build, build, building, gaming computer