Need a bit of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavathsaer

Beta member
So, I' am planning on building a computer. This would be my 1st one. I've got a good idea of how to actually install the hardware and do it in a safe manner.

My worry is my actual build.

I'll give new egg links so you guys can look at the specs.

Motherboard : Newegg.com - ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

CPU : Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM : Newegg.com - mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PSU : Newegg.com - APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL 680W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Power Supply - Power Supplies

Sound Card : Newegg.com - Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Express Interface Sound Card - Sound Cards

Video Card : Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Hard Drive : Newegg.com - Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Case : Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

So, that's what i had in mind. If someone finds incompatablities/better on this spec please let me know.

Also, i'd be very very happy if someone could explain how to tweak RAM settings/fan speeds. I was reading on the PCI Express 2.0 slots on that mother board. I wonder if it would be possible to fit dual graphics cards and that sound card because the x16 bandwidth would get split.

i'd go abit better on the mobo and get one that supports ddr3 like this onewww.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377 then this ram Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 3GB (3 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory. but i really need a budget to work to otherwise ill just tell you the best parts for cheap. for amd it would be better to get good timings on the ram. this power would be enough for what you have Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS420X 420W ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies. other than that your build is good. if your overclocking you will need a cpu cooler. just your cpu at stock is ok but o/c it can beat a stock i7 920.

Thanks. lol I' am noob here. I'll be able to spend 1000 dollars.

I don't really care what parts, just as long as running today's games on full settings with 40+ FPS.

ok well for a 1000 dollars you can afford an i7 setup. so you learn abit more build a new computer on newegg and ill tell you what to change.

start with
cpu: i7 920
mobo: an x58 chipset like the gigabyte ud3lr
ram: ocz sticks that i said before
psu: same as above

If he's going with a phenom II build that motherboard is fine. The small increase in performance for ddr3 ram would not be worth it. that motherboard you had was fine. a 1000 dollar budget for i7 rig is pushing it, and it may force you to skimp on some things. Have someone come up with one, but you may be better off going with the one u posted.

If he's going with a phenom II build that motherboard is fine. The small increase in performance for ddr3 ram would not be worth it. that motherboard you had was fine. a 1000 dollar budget for i7 rig is pushing it, and it may force you to skimp on some things. Have someone come up with one, but you may be better off going with the one u posted.
I fully agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom