Need AM2 mobo and psu. Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
So recommendations for my brother in law? He's got a new build on and has everything except a mobo and psu? He wants NCQ compatible machine...does that affect the mobo selection? Not too familiar with NCQ.

Anyways, he has AM2 build, 4000+ brisbane cpu...rest is standard stuff we see here.

I've had great OC results with my EVGA 590...any issues there with recommending that one to him? and the Corsair TX650W 650W psu is on sale here for just over $100, which is reasonable.

Other suggestions? he likes options.

Thanks

I had the DFI 590 SLI and it was a great board. I like OCZ, Thermaltake, Antec or CoolerMaster PSU's. If he's just got standard stuff then a 500-550w should be fine.

Turns out budget is a bigger issue than i thought....he might be looking more at something like the Strider ST50F 500W or Fortron SAGA AX500-PN for around $60.

Now what about this NCQ thing? I read up on it but didn't see it saying anywhere it would impact or limit your mobo selection. True? He seems to think it's going to be a tough thing to find a NCQ compliant board...I guess what i'm asking is of that is even an isssue?

I got my antec neopower 500w at frys for $70, retails for over $100 and its great, silent, plenty amps on three rails and modular of course.

NCQ (Native Command Queuing) is a hard drive feature and shouldn't have anything to do with the motherboard other than you will want to make sure if you have a SATA II drive you will want a motherboard that supports SATA II interface (3.0 Gb/s)

Read more about NCQ here:
Seagate Technology - Seagate Shows SATA with NCQ can Beat 10K SATA; Seagate NCQ Ships Next Month

Seagate said:
What is Native Command Queuing?
NCQ is a command protocol in Serial ATA that can only be implemented on native Serial ATA hard drives like Seagate's. It allows multiple commands to be outstanding within a drive at the same time. Drives that support NCQ have an internal queue where outstanding commands can be dynamically rescheduled or re-ordered, along with the necessary tracking mechanisms for outstanding and completed portions of the workload. NCQ also has a mechanism that allows the host to issue additional commands to the drive while the drive is seeking for data for another command.
NCQ allows the drive to set up the direct memory access (DMA) operation for a data transfer without host software intervention. This is also called first party DMA - it means that the device is capable of complex sequences of operations without CPU intervention. The drive itself knows the current angular and rotational position of the drive head. The drive then selects the next data transfer to minimize both seek and rotational latencies.
The benefits of SATA NCQ are described in a joint technology paper by Intel and Seagate titled "Serial ATA Native Command Queuing: An Exciting New Performance Feature for Serial ATA," available here: http://specials.seagate.com/ncqpaper/

i love my evga mobo, too.
i dont think they make them any more, though.
foxconn's 590 sli is pretty much exactly the same.
i've heard plenty of good about the DFI as well. any of those (really any 590 chipset) will be great.
AMD gt player has an interesting idea about am2+ mobo.

i love my evga mobo, too.
i dont think they make them any more, though.
foxconn's 590 sli is pretty much exactly the same.
i've heard plenty of good about the DFI as well. any of those (really any 590 chipset) will be great.
AMD gt player has an interesting idea about am2+ mobo.

Lol, yup, got mine from your recommendations, don't regret a thing. Yeah told him about foxconn's, for some reason he's got something against the 590s, he's leaning towards 570s.

Anyways, thanks guys, I don't know why this guy is insisting that his mobo selection is so limited because of NCQ, i couldn't find any problems when I read up on it....anyways, i'll pass the info along to him, too bad he's so hard headed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom