In need of an AM2 mobo - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate

Default In need of an AM2 mobo

So I need to buy a new mobo and the ECS one I want is not an option (zipzoomfly is the only place I have found that carries it and they said they have no idea when it will be available again). I figure it would not hurt to ask around before making a final decision. As stated I want an AM2 (its for a 4200x2), it does not need a ton of OC options, I will be running an ATI 1800xt gpu. When it comes to Crossfire I am not holding a high priority to having it as an option (it is somethign I MIGHT do, but would most likely just buy a new single card). Oh yeah, and don't suggest that Foxcomm (about $209 I believe) cause it is out of my price range. I cannot really spend more than about 150 on a mobo at this point in time.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

I'd suggest the MSI K9N Platinum board. I have the SLI version and I love it. Haven't tried any overclocking or anything on it, but I've heard good things about MSI?

You won't be able to have Crossfire on that board though, of course...

Old 07-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate

I am a bit wary of MSI. We sometimes use thier products where I work and I find them rather poorly made and easily breakable.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Khann can you please tell me with what RAM do you use on that mobo? I Wanna buy a corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 DDR2 800Mhz Ram [1gb*2 sticks] but im afraid of compatability issues..

i'll be going with a diffrent mobo but same chipset....

-Jo.

p.s. sry for hijacking this thread but i've just gotta know becauseim afraid of compatability issues with my RAM.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Space Ninja Pirate

Meh, doesn't really matter, there is so little out there right now for AM2 with respect to ATI that I did not expect many replies anyway.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

MSI is the best for am2 at the moment... and ive always heard that their products were very good, i was actualy just talking to a guy who runs a small computer buisness in my city and he said that, in his opinion, MSI is one of the most relaiable names around at the moment
Old 07-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoad
Khann can you please tell me with what RAM do you use on that mobo? I Wanna buy a corsair TWIN2X2048-6400C4 DDR2 800Mhz Ram [1gb*2 sticks] but im afraid of compatability issues..

i'll be going with a diffrent mobo but same chipset....

-Jo.

p.s. sry for hijacking this thread but i've just gotta know becauseim afraid of compatability issues with my RAM.
*points to sig*

Closed Thread