Need advice on what processor to buy. Also, gtx 260 x2 future proof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I'm planning on buying an upgraded system 4 months from now and am looking to buy a cpu that will virtually never be bottlenecked in games for a very long time. I'm trying to make this next build last a very long time running at 60fps with a 1080p monitor. I don't want to overspend for minimal gain, however. I'm using this for purely gaming purposes and plan on overclocking my processor. Also, how future proof would buying another gtx 260 to accompany my old one be in terms of running games at 1080p in the future (next few years)? Should I just plan on buying better cards in SLI if I don't want to have to upgrade in the near future? I guess what i'm asking is for a suggestion for the cheapest processors out that will guarantee no bottlenecks in games for the next three to four years and if two gtx 260s in sli will be sufficient for 1080p play for the next two years or so.

i7 920.

I would wait until your single 260 starts having issues and then look at the costs of a second one or a single card upgrade.

well keep in mind with the i7 it also requires a new board and ram.

The higher end i7's are not worth the cost as the 920 overclocks quite nicely.

Oh, new ram, huh? That blows. I counted on buying the mobo but had no idea I have to buy more ram. Oh well...

Will dual gtx 260s be enough to max out games at 60fps at 1080p for a while or should I just buy a better single card and wait until it has trouble and then buy another one of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom