Need advice on what processor to buy. Also, gtx 260 x2 future proof?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh, I was really hoping that I wouldn't have to replace the PSU. I'll probably have to go with the non modular one. That extra 150 bucks is going to kill my timeframe, especially if i go with the gtx 285. If I get a new PSU I might as well get a tri-sli board so that if two gtx 285s are not enough in the distant future i can just add in yet another.

Will that Corsair PSU be able to handle two gtx 285s, the i7 processor, and a bluray player?

A Zalman really? Let's stick to power supplies that we know are good. I have never seen anyone recommend a Zalman. Three names you need to know for high end power supplies; Corsair, Seasonic and PC Power and Cooling.

That 850TX is a good recommendation. It is far better than the Zalman. Corsair also makes modular models if you want one. Although you get lower peak power due to the design and the are more expensive. If you are proficient with cable management you don't need one anyways.

A Zalman really? Let's stick to power supplies that we know are good. I have never seen anyone recommend a Zalman. Three names you need to know for high end power supplies; Corsair, Seasonic and PC Power and Cooling.

Whoa there buddy, who said zalman PSU's aren't good? i got one. (in sig) and it has easily powered 2 GTX 260's (one core 216 and the other core 192) didn't even flinch. But they weren't in SLI tho. Zalman makes good PSUs too. who said that Corsair, Seasonic, and PC Power and Cooling.

Whoa there buddy, who said zalman PSU's aren't good? i got one. (in sig) and it has easily powered 2 GTX 260's (one core 216 and the other core 192) didn't even flinch. But they weren't in SLI tho. Zalman makes good PSUs too. who said that Corsair, Seasonic, and PC Power and Cooling.

I just don't think we should be recommending arbitrary companies for things. We know those three make great power supplies and there isn't any grey area about it. The only Zalman that I have seen recommended is the 700watt version and it was specifically stated, which leads me to think that the other ones are for some reason unreliable or otherwise not as desirable. I don't see any reason to recommend an alternative that may or may not be as good, when there is nothing wrong with the ones we already recommend. In fact I think tis pretty safe to say that the ones we already recommend are the best. When you buy from those guys its not about what model you buy because everything they make is good.

To put it in car terms. Chevy has some good cars, but they also make the cavalier, which nobody in their right mind would buy. But take Honda on the other hand. they have some models I wouldn't want, but none that I wouldn't recommend for quality issues.

I just don't think we should be recommending arbitrary companies for things. We know those three make great power supplies and there isn't any grey area about it. The only Zalman that I have seen recommended is the 700watt version and it was specifically stated, which leads me to think that the other ones are for some reason unreliable or otherwise not as desirable. I don't see any reason to recommend an alternative that may or may not be as good, when there is nothing wrong with the ones we already recommend. In fact I think tis pretty safe to say that the ones we already recommend are the best. When you buy from those guys its not about what model you buy because everything they make is good.

To put it in car terms. Chevy has some good cars, but they also make the cavalier, which nobody in their right mind would buy. But take Honda on the other hand. they have some models I wouldn't want, but none that I wouldn't recommend for quality issues.

I understand completely. but i was saying if he wanted a modular PSU that could run dual GTX 285's then that zalman would be just fine. I was not aware that there was a modular corsair PSU in the 850W range.

Virtual-Hideout | Zalman ZM850-HP Power Supply Review

techPowerUp :: Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000W Power Supply
Review :: Page 2 / 6

AnandTech: Zalman ZM850-HP and ZM1000-HP

Dont worry, zalman makes good PSU's. i do my homework before buying or recommending something ;)

I understand completely. but i was saying if he wanted a modular PSU that could run dual GTX 285's then that zalman would be just fine. I was not aware that there was a modular corsair PSU in the 850W range.

Virtual-Hideout | Zalman ZM850-HP Power Supply Review

techPowerUp :: Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000W Power Supply
Review :: Page 2 / 6

AnandTech: Zalman ZM850-HP and ZM1000-HP

Dont worry, zalman makes good PSU's. i do my homework before buying or recommending something ;)

Hey it's cool with me as long as there is something to back it up. I just wanted to make sure you weren't recommending something that looked good on Newegg for no other reason than that.

It seems that the ZM850 is quite good, however, the reason everyone recomends Corsair and PC Power and Cooling (not so much Seasonic) is because they have proven to be extremely good across all their range for stability, build quality, efficiency etc.

Still, i can totally understand wanting something different, and there are other great products out there, but you do have to know what your looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom