Need advice on what to do!..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kez

Solid State Member
Hello! I'm buying a custom built PC from Mesh Computers (www.meshcomputers.com) and I'm at a bit of a loss of what to do about the CPU. The price cannot go over £1265.

Current spec I'm looking at:

Genuine Windows® Vista Home Premium
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 Processor
ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i Mainboard
2048MB DDR2 533MHz Memory - (2x 1024MB)
320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
768MB nVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX
Sony 18x Super Format DVD Writer
5.1 Channel Surround Sound Audio
6x USB, 2x Firewire, GB LAN

Right, now, this all comes to £1265. The thing I'm not sure about, is the built in 5.1 sound; I have a 7.1 set, and plan on using high quality headphones too. What I want to ask is, would it be worth dropping the processor down to a E6400 and upgrading the sound card to a Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio? I'd also have about £30 left over if I did, which I'd spend on a TV tuner; Since vista has the media center, could be fun. Are these two bonus's worth dropping the CPU down a notch?
And more importantly, would I notice a big diffrence in the performance of the computer? I will not be over clocking, but it's a possibility I will in a year or so (want the warranty to stay for awhile)..

Thanks!

Thats a great spec and not too bad a price considering its ready built and what your actually getting, can you give a link to the exact pc you want?
And no id stick with the E6600 processor especially as you say you wont be overclocking, because out of the box you will have blistering speed anyway.
What id do is use the 5.1 sound for a while until you have enough for a soundcard which will support 7.1(there not THAT expensive really) and i think with the 5.1 onboard it should go up to 6 channel sound which will mean your only losing one speaker that you wont get sound from.
Also ive got that soundcard you mentioned(x-fi xtreme audio) and it supports 7.1 sound so that would be fine if you got that in the future, im using it with my Logitech x530's 5.1 and it sounds great)

drop down to an E6300... and go for an Audigy2 ZS card if they have it. Audigy ZS is a good compromise to the X-fi, and the CPU will give you good performance but no the beefier price tag.

you could also save some money and go for the 8800GTS

or you could build it yourself and save more. :D

Nah i disagree if hes not overclocking, go with the better/faster processor to start with then he doesnt need to worry about tweaking it touching anything, as i said later on a soundcard isnt going to cost much, mine only cost about £50-£60.
And the graphics card, the GTX is much better, if you can afford it, get it, ive heard in this mag ive got that the GTS isnt really much to write home about.

i went on that mesh site and click on desktop pcs up to £1269 or something but i cant find your system, i guess you clicked on customize and changed a few things, like i said show us a link to the exact spec you picked.

yeah you can, as i said it will only cost you about £50 and installing a soundcard is a very simple 2min job.
Only thing i dont like about that is the case, but all the componants are top notch and that rig will be great at playing games and what not.

Indeed, well, I've picked the second case option which looks significantly better anyway. I'll go for my setup that I posted; Thanks everyone!

Just had a look, the 2nd case does look alot nicer.

Well with those componants and that case you will have a really good system that you wont need to upgrade for a long time.

Post some pics whenever you have it ;)

is that site real? or is the money currency a BIG difference?

I just custom made a computer with 2GB, a 8800GTX, E6600, a X-Fi Elite Pro and other sick stuff and its less then 1500...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom