Need advice from the verterans...no newbies!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've read, the 8800GT will outperform the 9600GT, but the 9x series does SLI better than the 8x series. Another thing to consider is that if you go with a single powerful card, it'll cost more up front, but it'll take up take up less space, and probably generate less heat/use less power than two less powerful cards in SLI. If you decide that a single more powerful card is the better way to go, it'd probably be best to wait a bit for a price drop on the 9800s rather than go with an 8800. Of course, the advantage of going with two 9600s in SLI is being able to spread the cost out over time. Weigh the pros and cons, and go with what works best for you.

Like CPUs, the stock heatsink/fan usually sucks. On a budget, I suggest checking out the Accelero S1, or spend a bit more for better build quality, style and slightly better performance and get the Thermalright HR-03GT. The stock on that 9600 looks better than average, but if you're building a high performance system, you should consider an aftermarket cooler.

the gts 512 will do that resolution without breaking a sweat.
if you want to upgrade in the future, you can get another one of them.
if you have a buyer set up for your 8800gt, go ahead and sell it, and buy the gts 512.
then, it wont cost as much, and i am sure (not positive, mind you) that sli 9600gt will marginally outperform a single overclocked gts 512, and sli gts 512 will clean house.
the only reasons i haven't gotten a second one if that the XFX is not cheap enough yet, my single one plays everything fine for the most part, and my cpu can't handle two of the cards.
when XFX drops the proce below 200 bucks, i'll buy one regardless of those facts.

Even though you seem to have your mind set on the 9600gt, I think you should get a 8800gts g92, because the 9600gt would be almost a downgrade

QFT.

Single card solution- 8800GTS 512MB G92 FTW! Can't beat the price/performance on that.

To naga- 9600GT's in SLI do outperform the G92 GTS, GTX, and in some cases the Ultra's.

QFT.

Single card solution- 8800GTS 512MB G92 FTW! Can't beat the price/performance on that.

To naga- 9600GT's in SLI do outperform the G92 GTS, GTX, and in some cases the Ultra's.

Yup...ive never had an SLI setup and i had some plans for a rebuild of my current build...something similar to this:

m2n-sli deluxe mobo
5000+ @ 3.2ghz
9600gt's SLI and oc'd
modded rocketfish tower

But im just gonna chill for now...and see what happens when the gt200 cards come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom