Need the advice of someone who knows what they are doing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akulamkii

Solid State Member
I brought myself up to speed on most of this tech in the last 2 days, so I'd like some feedback on this build to make sure I don't get everything and wind up with a nonfunctional system because of some minor detail I didn't understand.

I don't plan to run many high-end apps on the system, but the option to do that if I so choose in the future is always nice. The only high-end stuff I will be doing for sure is playing a few top games (notably Oblivion 4 and Battlefield 2142). I'll also be using XPMediaCenter/Vista (Aero ideally). I won't be overclocking or messing with defaults right away because I don't want to risk destroying anything before I know what I'm doing.

Proc: Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86Ghz 2MB shared L2 cache
RAM: G.SKILL (2 x 1GB) 240-pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Dual Channel Kit
Mobo: ASUS P5NSLI Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI Intel Edition ATX Intel Motherboard
VCard: (Recertified) eVGA 256-P2-N516-RX Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16
Drive: West Dig Caviar SE WD2000JB 200GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive
DVD: SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner

All products found on newegg but I will shop around for best price.

Just need a case/PSU that works with all this. I don't think I'll need additional cooling, but if those who know more about that subject than I do recommend it I'll definitely spend the extra $$ to avoid overheating.

From what I've heard, it's not worth going fro the E6300 to the E6600 since it is about $200 extra and only .5mhz faster w/ doubled L2 cache.

AFAIK everything should work with each other, but I'd like the opinion of someone who actually knows what they are doing. Also, the prices and capabilities of the hardware seem very good relative to each other. But if anyone has suggestions for a strictly superior setup for the same cost (or the same setup for cheaper) that would be awesome.

Advanced thanks!

sounds good

From what I've heard, it's not worth going fro the E6300 to the E6600 since it is about $200 extra and only .5mhz faster w/ doubled L2 cache.

there is quite a large difference between the e6300 and e6600. for starters 500mhz is almost a third of the e6300's clock speed, that and the extra (not to mention superior) cache counts for a lot. if it is at all possible you should stretch for the e6600 as despite what you may have heard it has the best cost to performance ratio. don't get the 7800gt as you will most likely get overcharged for it. have a look at the 7900gt or x1900xt.

I am going to build my PC when DX10, vista, and the g80's come out. And I am shooting for the E6600 :D

God I cant wait till all those come out.

What are g80s? And will current cards be able to run DX10 with drivers/whatever?

Also, I'm looking for a case, PSU, and possibly additional cooling. Any ideas?

I'm considering the Antec Sonata II as a Case/PSU. How's Antec's reputation? And from what I can see it doesn't appear to have much airflow. So should I get additional cooling? I don't think it'll be necessary, but I have never built my own computer before.

Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to go with an XFX PV-T71G-UDF7 Geforce 7900GT 256MB card since its only $40 more after rebate and is brand new (as opposed to recertified).

Also, casewise I'm thinking of going with the Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0.

My main objection to upgrading from an E6300 to an E6600 is that I'm not sure how much I will need the performance increase compared to how much I could improve performance elsewhere with the $150 I'd be spending.

Akulamkii said:
Thanks for the input guys. I've decided to go with an XFX PV-T71G-UDF7 Geforce 7900GT 256MB card since its only $40 more after rebate and is brand new (as opposed to recertified).

Also, casewise I'm thinking of going with the Antec LifeStyle SONATA II Piano Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 ATX 12V V2.0.

My main objection to upgrading from an E6300 to an E6600 is that I'm not sure how much I will need the performance increase compared to how much I could improve performance elsewhere with the $150 I'd be spending.

When everyone says "dude, dont get the e6300, it's crap, get the e6600" we have to take a few things in account here. 1, regardless of what processor he's coming from, it's going to be fast as ****, 2, how much difference are you really going to see between the e6600 and e6300 in today's programs unless you're encoding video or audio or something. Whatever the difference, it certainly doesnt justify the extra cost (unless you have extra money to spend and you dont care). Also, getting an e6300 now costs way less and if you ever did want to upgrade, you could always go get the e6600 which will be much cheaper down the road.

By the way, I'm having the following in my sig coming in today.. the 6300, the RAM(got the same as you), the 7900gt (leadtek), ds3 mobo, and the xclio case. We pretty much had the same build! :cool:

Oh, also, I would NOT get an Ultra ATA drive. Look for a good SATA drive on newegg, trust me, SATA=way better unless you're using it as a backup drive, then it doesnt really matter unless you want the really quick transfer speeds.

Here's a pretty good deal
Seagate 320GB

and here's one in case you dont feel you need 320GB

Seagate 250GB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom