Need advice for quiet build

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustBecause

Solid State Member
I need a little assistance planning a new build for the near future. The only computer I have ever built was during the days of the athlon 64s and nvidia 6xxx series gpus, which i still use, so needless to say it's time for an upgrade. This computer will strictly be for gaming, however I am not looking for ultra high end components. My main objective is to be able to play newer games at relatively high settings, while having as quiet of a computer as possible since noisey PCs annoy the **** out of me.

I'm about to order a Cooler Master Sileo 500 which will hopefully quiet my current system down a bit, although I am a little concerned about cooling with only having 2 case fans. I was looking at the Antec P183 or P193 but they are both too tall for my computer desk. Any other suggestions?

I would like to get an SSD as the boot disk and then have a HDD for games. Would either of these be suitable for a windows 7 boot disk?Newegg.com - OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
And what would be the difference between the two?
Also, can anyone recommend a good HDD that is fairly quick and relatively noiseless?

I was looking at this processor
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
Would that be a good option or is Intel the way to go?

I would like to get 8 gigs of ram, but would it be better to go with 4 gigs of nicer ram or stick with 8 gigs of not as nice ram.

Finally, is there any new technology coming out in the near future I should wait for or is now a good time to build? Within a couple months of building my last pc agp was pretty much phased out and SATA became the norm, I would like to avoid that this time around (I know pc tech advances extremely fast I'm just talking in the IMMEDIATE future).

Anyways, sorry for the ridiculously long post and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Welcome to TF.

Big question is whats your budget...?

Not up on SSDs so i'll have to pass on that one...

On the cpu, its a great chip, and being a black it can be overclocked greatly. Now clock to clock, intels faster.... BUT dollar to clock AMD wins.

With new games becoming more cpu dependant, a quad core is a very good idea for future... On the future stuff, its hard to predict, the intel chips are new tech, while AMD has been hanging on to the same chip styles. Both have some new tech, but intels keeping the same chip socket... not to sure on AMDs plans.

Gpus all are pci-e now and only a couple cards actually can come close to filling up the communications port and bogging it down.. so pci-e is here still for awhile.

On RAM... no one really needs more than 4-6gigs of ram... unless you run huge programs. so 4Gigs is just fine.

Let us know a approximate budget, and we can help more specific... also where are you at? ie. US UK Au Cdn etc, so we can get proper pricing. Don't want to assume US, though you did link the egg

Regarding the SSD the Vertex 2 has better transfer rates. 60GB is more than enough for Win7 and some applications and games. I have one vertex 2 60GB and I'm pretty happy with it.

Like paton said, tell us your budget and we'll give you a better advise. If your buying on newegg the combo deals may have influence on the parts you choose.

I was hoping to stick to around 700-800. I already have a case, PSU, monitor, and keyboard/mouse. And I don't plan on overclocking with this thing since I know the case I bought isn't that great on cooling.

And it's good to be back to TF, I used to come here when I built my first computer but I forgot my user name/password.

edit: I'm in the U.S.

Yeah I will need a copy of Windows 7 as well. I'm assuming I can just get Windows 7 Basic since the more expensive versions don't have any features worthwhile for gaming correct?

And the case is a Cooler Master Sileo 500. I don't have the PSU yet but I'm looking into getting one soon, I was going to get 700 watts at a minimum and I would like it to be modular and extremely quiet.

That definately helps a ton. Thanks.

But would I notice a difference by getting a six core CPU? I may be way off on this but I thought most games didn't take advantage of that many cores. Or is that old news and newer games can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom