Need advice on purchasing a PC

Chakra

Baseband Member
I have an offer from my friend and have already purchased a "pre-built" computer from Dell. I am planning on editing videos and playing games on my system. Which should I buy? (I can return the Dell.)

Dell $700:
3rd Generation Intel Core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge Processor 3.40GHz
8GB DDR3 1600
1TB 7200RPM HDD
1GB AMD Radeon HD 7570
16X DVD+/-RW
Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n
Bluetooth v4.0+LE
Windows 8
Inputs
4x USB 2.0
2x USB 3.0
HDMI

My friend's offer that is brand new $500:
Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor (S-Spec: SLBEJ)
COOLER MASTER Storm Sniper Case
5850 1GB DDR5 Video Card
Asus P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
12GB (6 x 2GB) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory
1000W ATX12V Power Supply
Hitachi 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Wireless WiFi adapter
INTERNAL DVD/CD WRITER/ROM//RW

your friends by a lot, even though the power supply is 3x larger than you need and hopefully half good quality.

also your friends computer isnt brand new.

its close man....

id be very torn...

defiantly not your friends " by a lot ".

the dell is better in the long run... if you got the dell and put a beffier gpu in it, itd be a awesome lil computer. thats what i would do.

your friends by a lot, even though the power supply is 3x larger than you need and hopefully half good quality.

also your friends computer isnt brand new.

I was think, WOW! I thought your friend bought a new computer from the store with an i7 quad core for 500 bucks! The cost of that CPU alone is like $400, let me check, its $300, still though, if that was at the store it would smoke anyone's rig thats 500 bucks!

sorry if i wasn't clear, i have a choice between buying the dell and my friend's.

by new i meant not brand new but not used* sorry. is the 5850 a superior card?
i don't plan on upgrade soon but in the long run i do.

Last edited:
The 5850 is only slightly superior, but the 3770 is way superior compared to the older i7. Like I said, just get the Dell and toss a better GPU in it.

i agree, the dell is better. its also a lot quieter for sure! i dont know how dell does it, my dads Dell is inaudible... plain and simple. get the dell, and put a 7850/650ti in it, and you will be a happy camper. you can also sell the 7570 on OCN for like $80...

my history with dell is that they will die very quickly. ive used and purchased about 30 of them and the only one that treated me well is the q6600 workstation that i got 4 years ago or so. it hasnt been shut down for more than a few hours during that time. thats why i say go with the friends build.

odds are the dell doesnt have more than a 400w psu and that will need to be upgraded too.

Back
Top Bottom