rileeey

Baseband Member
Hi All,
So heres the situation:
I have this Dell Dimension 9100 with the following mods:
EVGA 9800 GT Superclocked.
2 Gigs Crucial DDR2 RAM.
Antec 650 earthwatts PSU.

Believe it or not, this pc runs great and has been for the past 4 or 5 years.
Ok so I've decided to upgrade the other components that have become outdated.
I'm just gonna add a list of all the new parts I'm interested in. Please comment if you see any issues or advice.

Upgraded Parts:
RAIDMAX Tornado ATX-238WR Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Case ($40)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA ($55)
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) ($30)
GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard ($53)
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 ($165)

So will those plus my current parts work fine?

If your existing ram is crucial ballistix ddr800, just grab another set of 2gb and chuck both in your new motherboard, that is a good set of ram.

now, That cpu is great choice but paired with a g31 is not your best bet, if you plan to overclock then a g31 is going to get you nowhere, since this is a gaming computer i suggest you get a better performing board, a p45 would be nice, if your strapped for cash get this combo instead.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
this board has a great deal on rebates if you want the intel route
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

otherwise the rest is fine.

I dont plan on overclocking anytime soon.. I just want a computer that can run Far Cry 2, UT3, COD4, and good games with a good fps.
Oh and I want to stay with a Intel CPU.
At first I wanted to get the lowest price on the most decent stuff, but paying 50$ more for the mobo isn't a big deal to me.
How much better is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz than the core 2duo 3.0ghz?

I dont plan on overclocking anytime soon.. I just want a computer that can run Far Cry 2, UT3, COD4, and good games with a good fps.
Oh and I want to stay with a Intel CPU.
At first I wanted to get the lowest price on the most decent stuff, but paying 50$ more for the mobo isn't a big deal to me.
How much better is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 Yorkfield 2.66GHz than the core 2duo 3.0ghz?

I assume by Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, you are referring to the E8400. The Q8400 is basically two E8400 cores glued together. As such, it doesn't really have more performance except in things that make use of all the cores, or for multitasking.

If you can squeeze it into your budget, I would recommend the Q9400. It is quite a bit faster than an E8400. Although if all you are doing is gaming and think you won't take too much advantage of the quad core, the E8400 is a great chip.

Also, baron suggested you get another 2GB kit of Ballistix...but I really advise against that. Ballistix is hit or miss as it is, and it doesn't tend to play well when you have 4x1GB sticks.

Lol no, those are the parts i ALREADY HAVE. and Yes that antec 650 fit perfectly fine in my dell case. But it doesn't even matter because like I said, I'm moving it all to a new computer.

I assume by Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz, you are referring to the E8400. The Q8400 is basically two E8400 cores glued together. As such, it doesn't really have more performance except in things that make use of all the cores, or for multitasking.

no it is not, the q8400 is two e5200's stuck together. a e8400 would be much better for gaming than the q8400. the q8400 is only for people who do not game but do alot of multitasking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom