Need advice on new vid card

Status
Not open for further replies.

autiger90

Solid State Member
I was hoping to get some advice on upgrading my video card. My current comp is a couple years old:

Motherboard: ASUS NODUSM3
Chipset: nVidia nForce 410
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2200 MHZ
Memory: 4 Gig
Current Vid Card: nVidia 7600 GT

I'd like to spend less than $150 on a card and was looking at this:
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-1150-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Would this card be a decent choice? I've changed vid cards in comps before but don't really keep up until it's time to do it so I wanted to make sure this card would work with the motherboard. Using PC wizard, it indicates the board had a PCI Express slot. I don't do any heavy gaming really. I mainly play WoW and am tired of low frame rates during 25 man raids. I'm open to suggestions of other cards or advice as well. Thanks for the help.

you could really go with something like a 4830 for under $100 or however much they cost these days and you'll be fine for wow.

I really appreciate the help.

My power supply is Antec TP3 - 430.

I figured I could get by on a slightly lesser card for WoW but I decided to set my budget slightly higher in case my gaming tastes changed. :D

The other question I have is that if I decide to switch from a nVidia card to a Radeon card, does that present any particular problems? Or as long as I clean the old drivers, I'll be ok?

it should work fine if your psu can handle it.

looking at your psu, i would go for either a 4830 or 4850, or upgrade your psu as well. running a 4870 would be pushing things a bit IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom