Need advice on new laptop/desktop

Rios38

Solid State Member
Hello, I have had a laptop for a years now and I'm looking to replace it. I am looking for a good video editing and light/minor gaming. Recently I have gotten to into Parkour and Free-running and I am looking for a good computer to use for video editing and such. I understand that it will be expensive along the lines of a laptop but that is what I and hoping to find even though I might be willing to settle for a desktop. I have done some research and found that the specs I am searching along the lines for are:
13-17 inch screen
Intel i5/i7
Windows 7 (preferably)
Weight and size are not much of concerns though I don't want a huge bulky laptop
Resolution of 1600x900 or 1920x1080p All though right now my budget is not the greatest I am willing to Save up an extra hundred or two if it means higher resolution.

Also, it would be ever so helpful if yall could help by adding specs I missed and giving me links and price ranges

Last edited:
I could list a bunch of laptops, but it would help if you gave us a budget. Instead of everyone listing random laptops.

These are good video editing, correct? I'll be fine to sacrifice the gaming option for it though it's going to games like (age of empires and prison architect) But I mainly am looking for video editing. Thank you for the links though.

The first one did appeal to me though the second one is a no. I understand I might have confused you with saying light gaming but I need to focus more on editing than gaming. Sorry if I confused you.

Could you also point me in the direction of some cheap desktops for editing?

Last edited by a moderator:
For a desktop and your budget you would be better off building yourself as you would get the absolute most bang for your buck. Before you come back saying you don't have time or whatever, NCIX can build it for you.

Both laptops have similar hardware. I linked the MSI because on those you can manually turn your fans up or down to maintain a cooler CPU while using it at 100%. Both laptops also have similar gaming performance as well. An i7 is the best for video editing when it comes to laptops, but a desktop i7 would be much quicker although either one is adequate for the job. I know that sounds confusing, but laptop parts are slower than desktop parts. These recommendations have more emphasis on editing rather than gaming. You won't be playing BF4 on these or whatever.

I have plenty of time to build one. The only thing is I am in high school so I'm not getting much money from working so I do need something budget worthy. I could build one but my only problem is I barely know anything about desktop. I have friends who could help me. I am a Tracuer, so me and my buddies take videos of us doing Parkour and I need something to make a good quality video. So I think going with building a desktop will work. Any ideas on what moniter, computer, software to get along with where? I heard Sony Vegas is good but I feel like that is high end editing and I'm only a beginner. The most editing I've done is on my phone....so you could you help me out?

So you need to buy the monitor and everything too?

Adobe products or Sony Vegas. I'm not pro but I use Vegas Pro 12 myself. Just use Youtube videos for tutorials and you'll get the hang of it.

To actually "make" the videos you'll need some high end cameras like Gopro Hero 3 Black.

Back
Top Bottom