need advice on gaming system - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 35
Default need advice on gaming system

Ok I don't really play games but I have a few I have not been able to play because my current system just can't play them.

I have about 500 to 600 to spend.

Now before I go any further let me give you a list of the games I would like to play

Sims 2 - for the wife

Resident evil 5

Mass Effect 2

Dead Rising 2

Thats pretty much what I would like to play.

I have been looking on ebay for custom systems but am not sure if thats the best choice

Could you please give me some advice on what to buy

I don't need a dvdrw I have plenty

I would like case, power supply, board, video card,processor, memory, and hard drive

I hope it isn't to much to ask.

Oh I have operating system also

Thanks
__________________

keico2011 is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 02:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

No monitor as well?

Here's a very nice AMD/ATI setup

Newegg.com - MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
Newegg.com - XFX HD-583X-ZAFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
Newegg.com - OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3F1600LV4GK
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

This all comes out to $585 BUT has no casde.. There is $65 in rebates so you can use that buy it.

This will suit your needs for a very long time.

There are ways to cheapen it if you need.

Welcome to TF
__________________

__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

good job paton
__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

Ironically its most of a build done 2 days ago, and was still in my cart. So i whipped it up in 4 minutes.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Vinsanity
 
BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: West Coast Cali
Posts: 1,234
Send a message via AIM to BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Ironically its most of a build done 2 days ago, and was still in my cart. So i whipped it up in 4 minutes.
lol tell me why I usually do the same too haha.
__________________
New build in progress, but this is what I got for now:
-AMD x2 5200+
-Asus M3A78-EM AM2+
-Buffalo 2x1gb ddr2 800
-Hitachi 250gb Sata HDD
-Antec Minuet Case w/ 350w psu
-Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
BiGyLiLuPdAmIdL is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 35
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

Oh by the way, I need to add s-video to this setup.

My current video card is a Nvidia Geforce 7300gs it has the svideo plug.

I use this port to connect to my TV.

Would I need to use a different Video card or is there another type of card I could use

And lastly which Operating system would you suggest
keico2011 is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

The card has hdmi ouput for tv's. If your tvs not too old you might have an hdmi input you'd just plug in and also get sound.

Win7 is the only option.
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 35
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
The card has hdmi ouput for tv's. If your tvs not too old you might have an hdmi input you'd just plug in and also get sound.

Win7 is the only option.
Actually my tv and Video card have that HDMI, but when I tried to connect it this initially it just did not work
keico2011 is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 35
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
No monitor as well?

Here's a very nice AMD/ATI setup

Newegg.com - MSI 870-G45 AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
Newegg.com - XFX HD-583X-ZAFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
Newegg.com - OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3F1600LV4GK
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

This all comes out to $585 BUT has no casde.. There is $65 in rebates so you can use that buy it.

This will suit your needs for a very long time.

There are ways to cheapen it if you need.

Welcome to TF
Thank you so much for the links

I really appreciate your time on this.

Just curious about the board, does it have only one sata hookup
keico2011 is offline  
Old 01-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Slaymate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 7,946
Default Re: need advice on gaming system

It looks like it has 6 SATA ports to me.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Slaymate is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Gaming System...Need Advice Brew_WY New Systems | Building and Buying 14 07-16-2008 02:43 PM
advice on new system truck123 New Systems | Building and Buying 8 04-02-2006 10:19 PM
Building a Gaming System. Need Advice TheKid06 New Systems | Building and Buying 9 03-07-2006 05:43 PM
Need advice buying new system jas321 System Upgrades 12 12-07-2005 07:32 PM
Advice on new system Homer_J Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 6 01-28-2005 07:45 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.