In need of advice, first PC build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillinNgrillin

Beta member
Hello to all, I'm currently in need of advice on a custom built PC.
After doing hours of research I've seemed to have only boxed myself into a corner and in a loss of where to go next. Looking for a computer that can do gaming (Skyrim) and some light video editing on the side. Maybe even recording game play. Does the i5 have a risk of bottle necking with a Video Card around < $300? Also clueless on what motherboard is applicable with a price range of $1200.

The rig I've put together goes like this:

CPU -Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K

MoBo - Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TZ68A+RCH LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Video Card -Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
In need of suggestions with the video card. I'm looking for quality is this a good choice and is it compatible with the CPU?

PSU - Newegg.com - Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-S-B 850W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply
Can I go lower in price?

RAM -Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

HDD -
Newegg.com - HITACHI HDS721050CLA362 (0F10381) 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Without monitor or case so far I'm looking at $924.94.

Thanks

An i5 2500k is great for gaming and will not bottleneck even the 580. I'd recommend http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005 or you can even go lower in price with a 600w. I would stick with Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, or OCZ power supplies.

As for the motherboard, I'd go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131771 or if you want a lower price, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131706

For the case, I'd get a Cooler Master HAF X, 932, or 912.

Monitor: ASUS monitors seem to be popular on Newegg. My dad recently got one and it looks and works great - even the speakers ok, which is better than I expected.

Thank you for your reply and clearing up the bottle neck issue. One of the New Egg videos was telling me I needed a CPU with a matching price to the GPU, I didn't think that was the case :). I'm going to go with your second choice for the Motherboard. HAF 912 looks good too, great price! Originally that same PSU was my first choice, not sure why I changed my mind.

Also is the video card I've chosen ideal? Is there another Video Card with more power at the same price or the same that's lower?

If available you should get an HDD from a brick and mortar store. They're slower to change their prices and you can get a much better deal in the midst of all this hard drive price hike warfare. I'm not so sure on how good Hitachi is either. I would look at Seagate or Western Digital.

Don't worry about the CPU price match the GPU price ordeal. I saw that on newegg as well and its obviously just silly. I have a 2500k and a MSi GTX 580 Lightning, and I haven't even come close to using the full potential of the 2500k. Choosing a GPU is really up to you. For more performance you have to pay more and theres really no getting around that. Some think SLI is a way to get around it, but in reality the FPS you get is not as stable as a single powerful card. The 500 series are all really nice cards and some will tell you to get two less powerful cards instead of one powerful one. Just make sure you read all you can about SLI and decide for yourself whether its worth it.

The GTX 570 is a very nice card and should play any game out there along with future games to come smoothly.

Hitachi is more geared towards industrial/server hardware. From what I've seen, their prices are a little higher (at least on their newer drives, not sure about older ones). As far as reliability goes, I've never had a hard drive fail on me, so I can't say.

The 570 is a good card and can pretty much max out any game at a good fps. However, I have an EVGA GTX 560Ti Superclocked and it gets just about the same fps on Battlefield3 as my friend's 570 with the same settings (just 1-2 less on average). Newegg.com - EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card I'm not sure how the two will compare on Skyrim, but I bet you can max it out with the 560Ti. It's much better than the recommended requirements here: Skyrim system requirements announced (updated) | Bethesda Blog

Yes that Hitachi was chosen because I couldn't find one cheaper. However looking at Best Buy they have some good deals on Hard Drives.
Thanks for the help I trimmed the cost down by about $50.

570 is a very powerful card, and I always go with Asus boards and I'm really liking their current lineup. Good choices so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom