need advice on current PC (to upgrade or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadas

Baseband Member
Current PC

AMD ATHLON 64 FX-53 1MB CACHE 939-PIN
ABIT AV8 SOCKET 939 K8 MOTHERBOARD
4x CORSAIR 512MB DDR PC3200XL XMSX
2x WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 74GB SATA 10K RPM 8MB HD
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS 7.1
ATI RADEON X800 XT 256MB PLATINUM EDITION AGP (soon to be 7800gs)
PC POWER AND COOLING TURBO COOL 510 DELUXE PSU

Was wondering if i should be looking to upgrade this machine or if i should be looking into building a new machine all together. The one thing that really gets me worried is my Mobo beacuse it doesnt have PCI-e. But i figure i can easily get a new Mobo, and get new memory while im at it if i can go that way.

if i was to get a new motherboard (that is socket 939) would my CPU work in it or would i need to get a new one (im kinda new to building PC's etc).

My question is it is worth it to keep the computer i have now, should i just get a new motherboard, or should i just build a new one in a little?

If you get a new mobo it will be compatable and no need to upgrade ram only thing is your videocard which you said you want to upgrade to the 7800gs.

Well i already put the order in for the 7800GS (because i got my bonus check FINALY from x-mas) so i spent it on that thinking i was not going to do anything else to my comp for a while. so i was thinking around x-mas getting a new mobo and new case (the one i have is SO crappy) and was thinking new sound care and new memory cause the 2gigs i have is kinda out of date i think...

well around x-mas im going to have like 2k to mess around will ( would like to not spend that much) for everything (including a new pci-e video card) id say new 1k

Your current system after upgrading the video card is still really good. Might as well wait until the release of the new motherboards before upgrading that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom