Need advice on buying a new PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtoli2000

Beta member
I'm not sure if my price range qualifies as a 'High Performance PC System", but here's my story...

I was all set to buy a laptop with a good graphics card (to be used for gaming, but also work) and I came close to ordering but never made up my mind. After thinking about it some more, I'm going to get a desktop and a netbook. I don't need a monitor because for the most part I was going to have my laptop hooked up to my HDTV via HDMI. I don't really bring my current laptop with me very often, and I was planning to have the new laptop hooked up to my HDTV most of the time. So I figure I can get more power in a desktop and then just use the netbook when I do need to bring a computer with me, all while staying within my original price range. Good idea?

So, all of the research I'd done on fairly powerful laptops is now useless to my purchasing decision. I have no idea what to look for in a desktop. I would just want to buy the tower, a wireless keyboard and mouse, and a Windows Xbox 360 controller for games. I don't need a monitor because it will be hooked up to my TV. I would just sell the monitor if it came with one.

My price range for the desktop, wireless keyboard and mouse, and Xbox 360 controller is $800. I'd love to get something good for $700, but I will go up to $1,000 if it buys me a significant improvement in power.

It is best to buy from the bigger names like Dell and HP, or are there lesser known resellers or brands that I should look at?

I need advice on processors, how much RAM, and graphics cards.

Also, if anyone has any advice on netbooks in the $300 - $400 range, I'd like to hear that too.

Finally, I have to ask if it's possible to run Crysis on something in my price range. I really have no idea and I've always wanted to see the game.

Thanks

So far I've looked around and CyberpowerPC seems to have good deals, but I also see a lot of negative feedback.

The best option I've found so far is

Newegg.com - HP Firebird 802(GM339AA) Core 2 Quad Q9400(2.66GHz) 4GB DDR2 500GB Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - Desktop PCs

For the netbook I would suggest the EeePC - with 9+ hours of battery time, a 10.1" screen and one of the best setups in the netbook arena, it kicks ***. Also nice that it is well designed. Available for around 350$

No reason to get the voodoo, if you must get a prebuilt I would recommend cyberpower or ibuypower.

But it is MUCH better to build a computer yourself. Cheaper and higher quality.

Take a look at this and see if you can handle it.

The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

P.S. You would definitely be able to run crysis if you build it, probably on high settings. You could do it with a prebuilt but not as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom