Need Advice building comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I ordered the following parts on newegg:

OCZ Platinum 6 GB Ram
Corsair 650 W Power supply
EVGA GTX 260 core 216
WD 640 GB 7200 RPM 32 mb cache

And lastly, I wanted to go with a case that was a little flashier but I kinda messed up. I was ordering late at night around 12 so I was drowsy and picking between like 5 cases. I ended up choosing the Thermaltake Tsunami but in retrospect I really wish I had chosen the NZXT Guardian which actually went up in price the next day from 89.99 to 99.99

So this weekend I'm going to go to microcenter to buy the intel i7 processor.

Still a bit unsure about the motherboard. I don't want to go with open box though.

That biostar motherboard is priced good and looks fine but it only has 1 review. I hate to read too much into something that mundane but seems like not too many people are buying it and I'm kinda wondering why.

I want to get something SLI capable just in case and if there's no other alternative I'll probably get the ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard that hefemeister linked. Any feedback?

****, Newegg delivered in under two days. I got all the parts except for the computer case already. Just gotta go up to microcenter tomorrow and get the processor and perhaps mobo tomorrow. So I need some final advice:

Asus P6t motherboard on microcenter is only $230. Is that the same as this one on newegg?

If it is, I'll probably go with that. Otherwise, I'll order the Gigabyte UD3R sli capable version on newegg.

What do you guys think?

Also, I'm thinking I might want to overclock the processor/GPU. Will I need to get additional fans? But my question is will my 650 w power supply be able to handle it? Kinda second guessing myself on that.

Yes its the same one as newegg. As we already said, go with that. Why would you choose the UD3R...?

You can always get more fans if you want, but cases normally come with a pretty good amount of cooling. Often only 1 intake and 1 exhast fan is needed. The Corsair 650W will be more than enough to run that setup. It could probably run 2 cards (although that might be pushing it). If you want evidence then look at my sig, im running a more powerful setup off 550w...

Alright, well, for better or for worse this is what I got :)

Intel Core® i7 920 Processor
Asus P6T X58 1366 ATX Motherboard
OCZ Platinum 6 GB Ram
Corsair 650 W Power supply
EVGA GTX 260 core 216
WD 640 GB 7200 RPM 32 mb cache
Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Trendnet Wireless N PCI Adapter

Total cost came out to about $1,100, slightly over what I wanted to pay.

Only regret I have is the case haha

I got all the parts except the thermaltake which ships on tuesday. I'll probably get one of my friends over to help me build it but anyone know of a good guide on actually building the computer?

Any advice on what to do/what not to do?

And btw, is one of those static armbands really neccesary?

As for the operating system, I have a computer that I bought from best buy like 4 years ago which has an XP product key on it. I've read that certain keys are made to work only on that specific system, which would really suck. Best case scenario: I'm able to dual-boot Windows 7 and XP. I just burned the Windows 7 x64 version to a CD. It's true that XP only makes use of 4 GB of ram correct?

Terrible build, lol. ;) J/k

You can always invest in another case later on, there are new good ones coming out all the time.

Static armbands are not needed IMO, just dont rub your feet on carpet before touching the parts. Also touch your case regularly.

I dont have time to do a step by step, so someone else might have to. All i will say, is make sure you use the motherboard risers and dont screw it straight to the case (yes i did this years ago. There was smoke, there was fire, oh yes).

Sorry to jump into this thread but I had a question about the motherboard install... My friend built his comp not too long ago and he said you had to use the piece of foam that came with the motherboard when you put it in the case... I was like ughhh in all the videos I have watched they just use the MB riser screws and that is it... I know this sounds like a dumb question but he insisted that you must install the piece of foam behind the MB... sounds dumb but I'm just being a newb and asking questions...

Um. Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about. You don't use that foam. I wouldn't even trust it in there with the heat.

You just use the standoffs.

Tell him to wrap his head in the foam, it doesn't need anymore damage :)

I wear static wrists, I'm a rough person and I don't wanna fry hundreds of dollars in parts because I was tired and drug my feet on the carpet. I mean for what.. 3 bucks? Yes pick one up definately.

Let us know how the build goes and any problems you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom