Need Advice building comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkseed999

Solid State Member
Hey

My budget is around 800 ~ 1050 dollars

I'm pretty sure I want to go with an i7 than I can get for $230 at microcenter, and maybe a $200 GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard.

Are those the best options for the budget described above?

For a graphics card, I'm looking at either a GTX 260 core 216 or a radeon HD 4870

I'm pretty much just looking for advice on everything else. Just want to know what the best options are for a gaming computer with this kind of budget

P.S. - I want to stay with a single graphics card, and I don't need a mouse/keyboard/monitor/headset. As for the hard drive, I'm content with anything between 250 and 750 GB. I don't need more than 6 GB of total ram, and I'll probably download and install the Windows 7 RC version. Currently not looking to overclock too much, though it may be something I want to do down the line

Welcome to Tech Forums!
now, thanks for including all your preferences, i can rack a build up right away for you. I would get the core i7 920 from microcenter for $230 and this would be the rest.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Comes to 988 in total, actually thats everything, the motherboard and cpu you chose are good, would be the best build for your money, if you wanted to get an awesome system which is just as good in gaming you could go for an amd phenom II 940 system which would save you a fair bit. But the i7 is the fastest processor and will probably be more future proof. So you can just get the motherboard and cpu from MC to save some more.

Thanks for the quick response baron5, looks good and I just have a couple questions.

The hard drive is perfect, and I got a DVD drive not long ago so I'm not going to buy one.

Is there any difference between gold and platinum ram besides the color? Gold Platinum you chose

And out of curiosity, what made you decide on the GTX 260 over the 4870?

Also, will it be worth paying an extra $15 to upgrade to a 750watt version of the same power supply? Will I ever need it?

And lastly, is it worth upgrading to the Asus 240$ motherboard? In terms of reliability, quality, life time

Ok, so I'll go with platinums and the 750 w power supply.

What are the advantages of the $260 motherboard?

that gigabyte board is nice. If you go with that, id get the 4870 vs the gtx260... that way you have the option of going x-fire. You will spend an additional $50 to $100 to get a SLI capable system, I'd stick with that giga board and get a 4870 for possible future x-fire upgrade.

Definitely go with the 750watt PSU.

I just did an upgrade and went with the more expensive P6T cause I had a GTX275 that I just traded up and wanted to build a dual graphics system so I was kinda "stuck" with Nvida. Otherwise, I woulda gotten that same giga board (or MSI) and gone with dual 4870's - Not that I'm not happy with GTX275 SLI, just a little poorer.

Well you can upgrade to the 750 watter but you dont really need to, secondly dont get the ud5, your not goign to use the extra features that board has to offer, besides for less you can get this
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPOWER X58A LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
which is probably just as good as the ud5, it just doesn't have third pci slot at x8 but who uses that anyway? your most likley only goign to run SLI/crossfire at most.

the platinums are much better then the gold, mainly for overclocking and stability purposes, they have better ram chips on them.

Finally, i chose the gtx 260 because it sounded like you wanted just to get right into using your computer, if you were to get a 4870 1gb thats fine, they are slightly better(exlcuding crysis) but a gtx 260 probably just has less heat issues (which are easily fixed on 4870 anyway) and driver support is usually better with nvidia. I just felt like a change since everyone rec's 4870 1gb's now.

Another good option is the same price range as baron5 ($20 more).
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
either board will do you nicely.

If you do not mind open boxes.
Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard $168
Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard $201

I as well like the GTX260 as a gpu choice.

That P6T also does have the 3rd PCI-E slot, and all three can actually fit double height cards (some 3xPCI-E motherboards cannot, such as the P6T Deluxe). But as baron said, who really uses three...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom