Need adapter to connect IDE drive to SATA port on mobo. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Need adapter to connect IDE drive to SATA port on mobo.

I am building a new PC and will use a 320 gb SATA drive for my boot device but I wanted to use my old IDE drive just for extra storage space and temporary backups. I have one IDE port on the mobo but I have two optical drives that will take it up.

I am looking at the following two adapters and have a few question if there is someone nice enough to answer them. - Fieon Digital HYA203 IDE To SATA Converter - Retail - Rosewill RC-204 IDE to SATA Mini Vertical Bridge (for IDE device) Model - Retail

Will these adapters work for IDE drive -- to SATA mobo?

Will there be any problems using a real SATA drive as my primary boot drive and a IDE with an adapter as a secondary drive, does SATA determine the primary drive depending on what port it is using (SATA 1, SATA 2, etc.)?

From what I can tell the adapter plugs right into the IDE drive, the problem is my drives are mounted width ways in the case instead of front to back, so there isn't any room to stick out, can I just plug a regular IDE cable into the drive and then into the adapter or will that cause problems? The Rosewell adapter looks like it will work fine but the other one I might have problems with, can't tell from the pic.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913
Default Re: Need adapter to connect IDE drive to SATA port on mobo.

Need adapter to connect IDE drive to SATA port on mobo.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Originally Posted by peterhuang913 View Post
No one replied to that thread so I figured I would have better luck here. It is also technically related to a new build so...
Old 12-23-2007, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Blitersety

Don't get either of those get this one: - SYBA SY-JM-SIDE SATA/IDE Adapter, Connect IDE Devices to SATA Port on Motherboard - Retail

It does just what you need it to from the way you have described the position of your HDD's.

I was going to ask for it for Christmas because I also have a couple IDE drives laying around but sadly it couldn't be fit into the budget.
Technology articles, reviews, and more!
-Asus P5Q Deluxe
- Intel G0 Q6600
-EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX
-Corsair TX750
-Antec 900 case
-Seagate Barracuda 320 GB HDD - main
-WD 320GB HDD - secondary
-Seagate Barracuda 500 GB HDD - tertiary
-Crucial Ballistix Tracer 3GB DDR2
-Lite-On 20x DVD burner
-Wireless MX-Revolution mouse
-Logitech G11 keyboard
Old 12-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
Camera junky

that woulda been usefull for my dvd roms, oh well i i found a local store and got 2 dvd sata drive for 36$each anyway, not even bestbuy had them.
intel Core I7 4770k@ 4.0ghz-Nvidia GTX980-MSI Z87G45 mobo-8gb ddr3 Corsair Vengeance Blue-ADATA SX900 128gb ssd 2x in raid 0 500gb hdd and 1tb network drive- EVGA 750w bronze-NZXT RAZER H440 LE-55 inch samsung 8000 series LEd-BENQ XL2411Z-Logitech z906 THX 5.1, Microsoft sculpt KB Razer NAGA 2014
Closed Thread