Necessity of Sound Cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
My current computer has a sound blast audigy 2, and I always enjoyed it and its EAX capabilities and all that good stuff. However for my next system, if I'm going to dish out the dough on a good mother board, that usually has 5.1 or 7.1 EAX onboard sound and all, the question is, should I even dish out money for a new sound blaster x-fi card? Anyone have any recommendations?

M733mhz said:
Well if you already have an Audigy 2 then just put that in your new computer.

I was thinking of doing that...but an Audigy 2 is old compared to a X-fi card. Does anyone think the X-Ram on their high end cards actually improve game performance?

x ram. lol not useful unless you are in gmod and spawn 300 people to fight each other. Then it might help a little with the sounds. Audigy 2 is fine.

i love my audigy 2. lol but i burped along a little until i got all the conflicts solved.
it had all sorts of gremlins hiding in it.
i thought of buying the x-fi instead, but glad i saved the dough becuse this one is just great.

nagasama said:
i love my audigy 2. lol but i burped along a little until i got all the conflicts solved.
it had all sorts of gremlins hiding in it.
i thought of buying the x-fi instead, but glad i saved the dough becuse this one is just great.

Sure the audigy 2 is great, but hasn't the X-fi cards been critically acclaimed for being far superior? Isn't it time to move on to more new and better things?

Sound is sound... the card isn't going to make one difference if your speaker system isn't up to the challange. Unless you are some serious audio nut and can pick out every little shift and tone, then it woundn't be worth it... IMO

I also have the Audigy2 ZS and have no need to upgrade. So if you feel like you need to upgrade then go for it.

the X-Fi is a better card, but the difference is not enough over an Audigy 2 to be worth it.

that is unless, like said, you need to use hundreds of sounds at once. the X-Fi's audio processor is capable of processing a whole lot more sounds at once.

Gabb said:
Sure the audigy 2 is great, but hasn't the X-fi cards been critically acclaimed for being far superior? Isn't it time to move on to more new and better things?

lol maybe so, but i haven't switched to c2d yet, so call me a creature of habit.
also, for the most part i use headphones while gaming, so i don't think my sound could get a whole lot better than it is now with eax on.
when i have the speakers connected and am listening to music, it's loud, and clear. at least to my old ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom