is it necessary to change the CMOS chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildside

Hellfire!
i see myself upgrading to one of those Phenom x4's when i get the money n stuff to get my computer up n running again but something is curious that i need answered.

though BIOS needs to be updated n stuff, but what about the CMOS chip?

i saw on a vid on youtube.com showing AMD ppl showing how easy it is to switch from 2 dual-core opterons to 2 Barcelona quad-cores. It was easy but what caught my eye is the so called "CMOS" chip. Now y was this done? What does the CMOS benefit for the whole mobo? All i know is that it stores the BIOS n i guess it needed a new one to run 2 Barcelona quad-cores.

can someone explain the need of changing the so called CMOS chip?

*EDIT*

what does the CMOS chip look like? Can anyone show me a pic?

r u suppose to remove the CMOS chip everytime u change the CPU?

What are you trying to attempt here? Updating BIOS, all you have to do is download it and flash it. And to reset, take out the CMOS/BIOS battery and leave it out for a minute.

i see myself upgrading to one of those Phenom x4's when i get the money n stuff to get my computer up n running again but something is curious that i need answered.

though BIOS needs to be updated n stuff, but what about the CMOS chip?

i saw on a vid on youtube.com showing AMD ppl showing how easy it is to switch from 2 dual-core opterons to 2 Barcelona quad-cores. It was easy but what caught my eye is the so called "CMOS" chip. Now y was this done? What does the CMOS benefit for the whole mobo? All i know is that it stores the BIOS n i guess it needed a new one to run 2 Barcelona quad-cores.

can someone explain the need of changing the so called CMOS chip?

You have a socket 939 motherboard....AM2 and AM3 are 940 pin sockets so it's a bit more than just updating the bios.

What are you trying to attempt here? Updating BIOS, all you have to do is download it and flash it. And to reset, take out the CMOS/BIOS battery and leave it out for a minute.

oh i c, u remove it to reset it, then place it back. Ok that's all i needed to know. Thx dude.

You have a socket 939 motherboard....AM2 and AM3 are 940 pin sockets so it's a bit more than just updating the bios.

hmm i wasnt talking about my mobo persay. I just wanted to know what was the reason y some ppl remove the CMOS chip n put it back. Phucing_10 answered part of my question.

what does the CMOS chip look like? Can anyone show me a pic?

r u suppose to remove the CMOS chip everytime u change the CPU?

It's just a battery. Should be the only battery you see on your motherboard. Your motherboard might have a jumper that you'll have to adjust before you take out your CMOS battery to reset it.

It's just a battery. Should be the only battery you see on your motherboard. Your motherboard might have a jumper that you'll have to adjust before you take out your CMOS battery to reset it.

Oh so its a battery? Didnt know that. Can u answer my other question too?:

r u suppose to remove the CMOS/reset BIOS everytime u change the CPU?

You only reset your CMOS, when you're overclocking and something went wrong. Resetting the CMOS, changes the BIOS back to it's default settings. No, theres no need to remove the CMOS battery when you change your CPU.

You only reset your CMOS, when you're overclocking and something went wrong. Resetting the CMOS, changes the BIOS back to it's default settings. No, theres no need to remove the CMOS battery when you change your CPU.

ok thx for ur help, u cleared a chunk of what i needed to know when OCing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom