Native Mode--Enable or Disable? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Native Mode--Enable or Disable?

Getting ready to set up my BIOS... for Windows 7, should Native Mode be enabled or disabled?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Default Re: Native Mode--Enable or Disable?

why are you playing with your BIOS? Usually the default is perfectly fine to load and use windows.

You should also say what mobo you have, so we don't have to dig back through your threads.

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

Old 10-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I went through the BIOS on my last computer, and you'd be surprised how much stuff was enabled that I would never use. You can definitely speed up the boot process and, I'm assuming, free up resources during normal operation.

It's a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD9. So far, so good, it posted on the first try. The only problem is that the Silent Pipe (a really cool-looking heatsink gizmo for the North Bridge) doesn't fit if you're using the recommended extra power connections for 2+ graphics card setups... one of the cable receptacles is built RIGHT UNDER where it goes! Major, major design flaw that you'd think would have been noticed... who buys a motherboard this nice then only runs one card???
Old 10-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I would give Native a try. Just make sure you've set the mode to AHCI before you install windows. Once you have AHCI set and windows installed you should be able to try the system with Native mode enabled or disabled.

AHCI on the other hand needs to be set 1st. If you set the system to IDE you can change it to AHCI later, sometimes, but it's a major pain.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Yeah, I was planning on doing AHCI, but I had no idea Native Mode was related... I just looked in my motherboard manual, and it does mention Native Mode under AHCI. Thanks, I totally missed the connection.
Closed Thread