NAS and Backup Recommendation - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Old 12-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default NAS and Backup Recommendation

I presently use Windows Home Server to backup my network (Ethernet) connected computers and I also use WHS as a NAS. I also backup the WHS to the cloud for redundancy.

Due to the obsolescence of Windows Home Server, I want to replace it with a NAS. I will partition the NAS to allow the users to save the files into a general depository and partition the NAS for connected computer backups.

The attached computers are Windows 10 with a couple of legacy Windows PCs, that will be phased out. I may also want to backup a MAC laptop my daughter uses at school. One of our Windows PCs is a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, it does not use BIOS, instead it uses UEFI. So the solution should allow a bare metal restore for both BIOS, UEFI and Apple's EFI.

I am open to any suggestions for a solution. I am presently leaning to a mini-FreeNas box, but I am having trouble finding a reasonable backup solution for it.

As far as budget, I would like to keep it under 5k.

Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

smb594 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Night Ninja
Default Re: NAS and Backup Recommendation

Since you're talking about using a mixed OS environment, a Time Capsule would work great for your Mac and then you could connect additional storage, as needed, to that for the Windows machines.

FreeNAS is good, just be sure that you're doing a cloud/offsite backup of some sort no matter what you go with. I would also tell you to use HGST drives if you're going to do FreeNAS. They're more reliable with better endurance.
MidnightShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

backup, freenas, nas, windows home server