My X-Mas Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazerman

Fully Optimized
Okay, so far, I have (from xmas at my Dad's tonight):

DFI UT LanParty SLI-DR Expert (Should I sell it and get AN832-SLI?).
eVGA 6800GS (Was broken on arrival, will have pic tomorrow, I am thoroughly pissed. One of the capacitors is broken off).

Under the tree to be opened tomorrow:
AMD Opteron 165 (Unknown stepping).

In the mail, will receive Tuesday:
FSP 500 watt PSU
G.Skill DDR600 1GB (2x512mb) RAM
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Thermaltake Smart Fan 1200mm (for typhoon)

What I already have:
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Case
WD Caviar 120GB IDE
Black Floppy Drive
DVD+CD-R/RW Combo Drive
4 120mm Case Fans
2 80mm Case Fans
2 UV lights
All cables Blue UV

Hopefully I can get the 6800GS RMA'ed shortly, and Stepped-Up to an eVGA 7800GT. I am also hoping the Expert doesn't kill my cpu. I can't wait to build this system, it's gonna be so kick ***! I will take pics of CPU, Video Card, Mobo, and Case tomorrow. For now, is the Asus A8N32-SLI better for overclocking than the Expert? I sure like that heatpipe cooling it has, plus I haven't heard of any instances where it has killed an processors.

Until tomorrow,

Happy Christma-Hanuk-Kawanza-Ramadan-akuh!

Expert = Trouble ahead
AN832 = Poor Tech Support / Overpriced
Lanparty Ultra-D = Cha ching

SLI = Death to it and anything associated with it :)

If you can get an AN832 and you're not paying for it, then I say go for it. If price is an issue then get the Ultra-D.

Well the thing is, I already have the expert. Also I was reading about the Ultra-D having issues when you have two cards, something about something hitting a fan.

Okay, I got my Opteron this morning, yay!

The stepping is 0546SPMW.... Aren't they supposed to be better than all the previous ones except 0530TPMW?

Also, the stock heatsink looks pretty cool to me, how does it perform? Doesn't matter to much anyways since I will be getting my typhoon soon.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=83032

You can try your luck with the Expert if you want but keep in mind a BETA BIOS will void your motherboard warranty...the chances of a CPU dying are rare but the chance is still there and I personally wouldn't trust it...the problem is not infact end user error despite what DFI initially claimed, problem is vcore spike of 3v to the core at times

Update.... Well I got an RMA number, but I went ahead and called Newegg. Turns out they will file a claim with UPS because it did appear that the product was damaged during shipping.

Lol so I am stoked that I get 2 6800GS, since they are going to send me a replacement and I get to keep this one that is repairable! This is the only way I'd do SLI other than if I was rich, 1 free card lol!

So I am starting to put everything together, but I am having a hard time installing my TT Big Typhoon since my mobo's backplate is plastic, and their alternative instalation doesn't work. I don't know what to do here guys, can you please help me out? The metal backplate they provide, well the holes line up but it doesn't sit flat on the mobo because of various circuitry that is underneath the CPU on the backside.

Also, the mobo didn't come with any mounting hardware, like the standoffs and screws and paper washers. Where can I get some of these?

Here is TT online install:
http://www.thermaltake.com/support/installguide/coolers/CL-P114_Big_Typhoon.pdf

and here is what came with the HS:
http://img309.imageshack.us/img309/6728/blah9on.jpg
The one with the HS appears to be a newer revision.

Thats why I got a scythe ninja heatsink, the bigtyphoon dosn't fit properly on dfi nf4 boards without modding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom