My 'Workstation' build - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,453
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi
Default

Don't take Flanker too seriously. He blows a lot of hot air. Just because it is longer and louder doesn't mean it's more credible. I really wouldn't indulge on the video card right now. He's ignoring the fact that you're buying a video card on the back end of it's "top-of-the-line-ness", if you will. It's about to be replaced. Patience is a virtue. If you were doing this about 3 or 4 months ago, I'dve said, sure, go for it. But the release of the new round of video cards IS really looming over us. Either way, you're going to be diappointed. Whether it be by falling prices, or if it's because you wanted the better card. I'm trying to help you not get screwed out of a few bucks.

Ryan
__________________

__________________

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb


Great FORD TRUCK resource: http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com
FghtinIrshNvrDi is offline  
Old 01-24-2006, 12:14 AM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 240
Default

I know Irish, I sure as **** want to get the most out of my money... I'm likely to get the 7800GT unless something new comes out by the end of Feb. If not perhaps I should nab a 6800GS, or even just a 6600GT... But I'm more likely to go w/ the 7800GT. However if I could cut it down to a 6800GS I could throw another $100 at something else.
__________________

__________________
In The Mail!!!!- Athlon 64 3500 @Stock/Abit K9N SLi sAM2/2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 @Stock /XFX G7900GT XXX 520/1500Mhz/74GB Raptor w/ 16mbcache/300GB 16mbcache SATA HD/NEC DVD-RAM Burner/OCZ ModStream 520watt psu/ThermalTake Armor Jr./Logitech EX110 mouse/keyboard
Mk97 is offline  
Old 01-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,327
Send a message via AIM to Flanker
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by FghtinIrshNvrDi
Don't take Flanker too seriously. He blows a lot of hot air. Just because it is longer and louder doesn't mean it's more credible. I really wouldn't indulge on the video card right now. He's ignoring the fact that you're buying a video card on the back end of it's "top-of-the-line-ness", if you will. It's about to be replaced. Patience is a virtue. If you were doing this about 3 or 4 months ago, I'dve said, sure, go for it. But the release of the new round of video cards IS really looming over us. Either way, you're going to be diappointed. Whether it be by falling prices, or if it's because you wanted the better card. I'm trying to help you not get screwed out of a few bucks.

Ryan
Blows a lot of hot air? Hah! Its people like you who pretend to know what you're talking about but end up contradicting yourselves every step of the way.

7800GT at the end of it's Top-of-the-line-ness? What're you smoking? Its the second best videocard out right now. And do you think that G71 (GeForce 7900GT/X) will be $300? Dream on. There will always be a $300 videocard, and it will always be second-best. If thats all you can afford, then thats what you get. The longer you wait, the better the card gets. But then the question becomes, how long do you wait? There will ALWAYS be something better.
Flanker is offline  
Old 01-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
HAVOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Posts: 4,218
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Default

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with everything "Flanker" has said in this thread...

holy crap... I need to get my head examined... j/k Flanker... good advice.
HAVOC is offline  
Old 01-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,453
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
7800GT at the end of it's Top-of-the-line-ness? What're you smoking? Its the second best videocard out right now. And do you think that G71 (GeForce 7900GT/X) will be $300? Dream on. There will always be a $300 videocard, and it will always be second-best. If thats all you can afford, then thats what you get. The longer you wait, the better the card gets. But then the question becomes, how long do you wait? There will ALWAYS be something better.
Yeah, it is at the end of it's being a glory card. It's called patience my friend, and you don't have it. I don't think you understand how it works. When there is a new card breathing down our backs, you don't go buy the present one. Are you a fool? That's like when windows XP was days away from being released, and you go buy Windows ME. It's stupid. If you really WANT Windows ME, you may as well wait a week for the price to drop. I don't see how you can tell yourself that you're making any sense.

Yeah, there's always a card in R&D being made for the next generation. The problem here, Flanker, is that these cards aren't even in R&D anymore. They're entering production to be released.

Ryan
__________________

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb


Great FORD TRUCK resource: http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com
FghtinIrshNvrDi is offline  
Old 01-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 223
Send a message via AIM to nezzari
Default

Sorry Flanker, but I'm going to disagree here.

Granted, there is some truth to what you said. There will always be a new card and waiting a year is stupid. But were are talking months here...A new one is just around the corner. Besides, the Geforce series isn't geared for rendering. You will benefit a lot more if you allocate your money elsewhere.

Like fight said, I would wait for a new card. If you REALLY want a top end card now, I guess you could aim for a Radeon X1900 XT/ XTX.
nezzari is offline  
Old 01-24-2006, 04:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
HAVOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Milford, Connecticut
Posts: 4,218
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by nezzari
Besides, the Geforce series isn't geared for rendering.
This is true. The "Quadro Series" is geared towards rendering.

Yet, both cards are very similar in hardware. The main difference's between the two cards are "Drivers & Firmware". The Quadro Series is optimized for precision while the GeForce Series is optimized for performance. The Quardo Series cost substancially more the the Geforce Series.

The GeForce Series can render just as well as the Quadro series.
And if price is a big factor for you, the the GeForce series will more then get the job done.
HAVOC is offline  
Old 01-24-2006, 05:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,327
Send a message via AIM to Flanker
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by FghtinIrshNvrDi
Yeah, it is at the end of it's being a glory card. It's called patience my friend, and you don't have it. I don't think you understand how it works. When there is a new card breathing down our backs, you don't go buy the present one. Are you a fool? That's like when windows XP was days away from being released, and you go buy Windows ME. It's stupid. If you really WANT Windows ME, you may as well wait a week for the price to drop. I don't see how you can tell yourself that you're making any sense.

Yeah, there's always a card in R&D being made for the next generation. The problem here, Flanker, is that these cards aren't even in R&D anymore. They're entering production to be released.

Ryan
So you're saying that in a few days the 7800GT won't be playing games at max settings anymore? You ARE smoking something. When the G71 comes out, there will be another card breathing down out backs. You know what its called? The G72 and G73. And after that, we have GeForce 8 waiting around the corner. Theres the 7800GT right now, and the G71 in a few months. And after the G71, we'll have G72 in another few weeks. Are you going to say not to buy the G71 because the G72 is here? I hope not. Besides, what makes you think that the G71 is going to be $300? He's looking for a $300 videocard, and the G71 is going to be $550-ish. See a difference there? If he had that much money he could just SLI 2 7800GTs.

Quote:
Granted, there is some truth to what you said. There will always be a new card and waiting a year is stupid. But were are talking months here...A new one is just around the corner. Besides, the Geforce series isn't geared for rendering. You will benefit a lot more if you allocate your money elsewhere.
I'm not saying to wait a year. If the G71 is coming out in a few months, G72 and G73 are going to be even closer. And GeForce 8 is already in R&D.

Basically, Its pointless. If you wait a month or two for G71 (Which he can't afford anyays, so I don't know what the f*ck you're on) another card will be closer than the G71 is right now. It all depends on how long you can wait to get a videocard. Ofcourse it'll be better, but there will always be something even better around the corner. Swallow it and but the 7800GT right now and be happy with it, it'll last you a year with high settings.
Flanker is offline  
Old 01-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,453
Send a message via AIM to FghtinIrshNvrDi Send a message via Yahoo to FghtinIrshNvrDi
Default

I think you totally missed my point about how when cards are introduced, there's a general price drop. I really don't have any retorts to your speech though. There's really no valid points I haven't already covered. New cards RIGHT around the corner. Prices generally drop... I'm not sure what you're saying besides saying a totally clean guy is smoking stuff.

Ryan
__________________

<b>I'm an unhyphenated American.</b>
System Specs:
Intel Q6600 @ 3200 1.4v
Abit IP35 Pro "The Snake"
2x2gb A-Data @ 800
Diamond HD 3870 512mb


Great FORD TRUCK resource: http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com
FghtinIrshNvrDi is offline  
Old 01-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 240
Default

Haha.. how about Flanker and Fightin' Irish duke it out to the death and the winner choses what I get.

But, really, with the exception of a possible price drop, I'm with Flanker on this. I know a friend who boughta x850xt pe instead of a G7800GTX... I'm not going to make a stupid mistake like that, but I don't think the 7800GT will drop much when the G71's come out anyway so I'll get it if it's a bit cheaper or I'll suffer the loss of at max $50 for rushing.

ON another note, I'm leaning to the MSI that Flanker posted, tho I still have the desire for SLi (even tho I'm likely never to use it...) And seeing as there's no Lanparty DFi w/o SLi I was wondering if it's worth $15 to go from a 'top' MSI board for the low-end DFi...

DFi
MSI

I doubt I'll ever get another card for SLi, but can't you use a 4x pcie as a 1x pcie and a 16x as a 4 and 1 pcie? So is it worth it, or is it just come down to picking the best looking one?
__________________

__________________
In The Mail!!!!- Athlon 64 3500 @Stock/Abit K9N SLi sAM2/2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 @Stock /XFX G7900GT XXX 520/1500Mhz/74GB Raptor w/ 16mbcache/300GB 16mbcache SATA HD/NEC DVD-RAM Burner/OCZ ModStream 520watt psu/ThermalTake Armor Jr./Logitech EX110 mouse/keyboard
Mk97 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.