Are my SSD benchmarks up to par?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soarwitheagles

Lookin' for higher ground
Just completed my new build. I have an OCZ Agility 2 60gb for my OS. Been unable to update from firmware 1.22 to 1.24, even after trying dozens of times, following the OCZ techs instructions to the "T". Not sure if upgrading the firmware is all that big of a deal.

I am posting my benchmarks hoping someone here can tell me if they look "in the ball park."

Please let me know if read/write speeds look ok to you. This baby is rated at 285 mb/s read, 275 mb/s write. If I am reading my benchmarks tests correctly, it appears to be 142 mb/s read and 95 mb/s write. Is this up to par or is something wrong here?

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• AS-SSD Benchmarks Test 1.JPG
    AS-SSD Benchmarks Test 1.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 249
The biggest problem I see is your running in IDE mode instead of AHCI mode. This is also the reason, "probably", why you can't upgrade your firmware. You should re-install Windows with AHCI mode enabled in your bios.

And with these new "SandForce" SSD's you really shouldn't run the AS-SSD Benchmark, it uses incompressible data which slows the drive down. You should use ATTO for benchmarking.

Disk Benchmark | ATTO Technology, Inc.

The biggest problem I see is your running in IDE mode instead of AHCI mode. This is also the reason, "probably", why you can't upgrade your firmware. You should re-install Windows with AHCI mode enabled in your bios.

And with these new "SandForce" SSD's you really shouldn't run the AS-SSD Benchmark, it uses incompressible data which slows the drive down. You should use ATTO for benchmarking.

Disk Benchmark | ATTO Technology, Inc.

Slay, Ok, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I used the AS-SSD Benchmark again before I read your post. I did have the BIOS set for AHCI and I must have inadvertently switched it to IDE.

I was finally able to update to 1/24 firmware. The issue was that I did not disable DMI data when upgrading the BIOS for the MB. I redid it and firmware 1.24 for the OCZ SSD installed easily.

There is also a significant difference with the benchmarks [see attachments].

I tried to download the ATTO benchmarks but they want all my personal info.

Is there someway to download ATTO without giving all my personal info?

Thanks,

Soar

Attachments

• As SSD Benchmark Test 2.JPG
    As SSD Benchmark Test 2.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 235

IMO that's a good thing. Other tests like ATTO are just giving you a best case scenario and artificially inflate the Sanforce drives performance compared to other controllers that aren't as dependent on data compression.

First gen SSD bench you can compare to. You should be getting much higher scores and our systems are almost identical.

ssdq0.jpg

Even for AS-SSD thats pretty slow. Did you reinstall Windows with AHCI enabled, or did you simply enable it and run the bench?

PPM,

Thanks for the reply. I did not reinstall Windows...I originally had AHCI enabled, then when following OCZ tech's instructions, went back to IDE for a little while. I re-enabled AHCI just before running the second AS-SSD test.

Gosh, is my OCZ Agility running really slow then? Could you give me an estimate of what percentage slower is running than it is suppose to run?

Thanks,

Soar

IMO that's a good thing. Other tests like ATTO are just giving you a best case scenario and artificially inflate the Sanforce drives performance compared to other controllers that aren't as dependent on data compression.

PJ, thanks for the input. Well, is there anything I can do to make this SSD go faster?

You can usually find any free tool or utility at the guru3d.com, they also have a lot of drivers.

ATTO Disk Benchmark 2.46 download from Guru3D.com

PP Mguire, now my SSD appears to be faster than your SSD. Neener, neener!

Slaymate, my system would not install ATTO after downloading it and trying to install it. Not sure why.

EDIT: Whoops, my bad...I was trying to extract ATTO file when all that was required was to click "run." Ok here are my ATTO benchmarks. Are they ok?

Attachments

• ATTO Benchmark test 1.JPG
    ATTO Benchmark test 1.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 240
Your scores are just slightly below mine. And that could be attributed to to all the benching you've done because it's new.

As for making it run faster, have you went through the SSD Tweak Guide

Puddle Jumper said:

That may be true, to an extent, but because of the way the SandForce controller operates running benchmarks like AS-SSD more than "on a rare occasion", will degrade your system performance and running them frequently can cause premature drive failure.

And like it or not the SandForce controller does give better overall drive performance than the Indilinx controller. And by more or less controlling the TRIM function, the SandForce controller is enabling the same level of drive performance across every operating system platform. This is really just what the market needs at this period in development. A lot of people are still running Windows XP and Vista which benefit a lot from the SandForce controller. It won't be to long before XP and Vista will be treated like Windows 98 because of basic hardware support. Once the LGA775 skt finally dies there will be a major swing away from XP & Vista and SATA 6GB will be common place. And that's when we should really start seeing some speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom