My soon to be budget gaming PC/How is this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Wall_117

In Runtime
My soon to be budget gaming PC/How is this build?/First build, need a little help.

I just joined today, and I think I will like it here!

Well, in all of my efforts to compile a cheap, compatable, high preformance gaming rig for myself, I came up with this:

(keep in mind that I already have a monitor, speakers, KB+M, and a CD/DVD/CD-RW drive)

Graphics: eVGA 512-P2-N568-AR Geforce 7900GT KO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16: $300.00

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor: $125.00

Motherboard: eVGA 133-K8-NF43 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 ATX AMD: $97.00

Memory: Corsair ValueSelect DDR400 (2x512= 1GB): $98.00

Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value SB0400 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card: $64.00

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s: $150.00

Case: Antec Sonata II (includes 450W power supply that sadly, won't be used): $109.99

PSU: ePOWER Puma II EP-450XP-P2B ATX12V 450W Power Supply 100-120V AC/200-240V AC UL, CE, CB, FCC: $47.00

Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM: $90.00

Is that a good build, it only comes up to about $1080.00.

Also, I have been assured that all of these parts are compatable, but I have never built a PC before. I have installed RAM and PCI cards before, but I have never actually put one together before. I have read a couple guides on this site and from random google searches, and I know pretty much where everything goes, but I am still really nervous. Is there anything that I need to know, or is there aything I forgot to list, including miscelaneos items, right down to extra screws or something like that?

Also, if the parts are actually incompatable, tell me and tell me what to replace it with.

You might want to wait for the next gen of video cards to come since they will be a huge leap when they come out as they support DirectX 10.

Try buying a 7600 gt thats what i am going to do since it will hold u long enough.

I want a new PC now, plus, I can always upgrade when the time comes.

Plus, my current selected graphics card is alot better than the 7600GT.

The PSU is fine for now, I will not be upgrading for a while after this build.

Wow, 42 veiws and only 3 replies... well, what should I expect? I am new after all, but I still need help.

I have serious qualms about building my PC, I am just scared that I will **** it up for some reason. I have read a few guides here and on other sites, but I am still unsure of myself, is there anything that can help me?

1) the antec sonata case already comes with a good power supply, there's no need to buy a seperate powersupply. the only PSUs that come with cases that are worth getting are antec..

2) your mobo/cpu are socket 939. if you want to be able to upgrade in the future, go with socket AM2. performance is pretty much the same, and so are prices... but there is the option of future upgradeability.. while socket 939 is soon-to-be obsolete.

3) once you've removed the extra PSU and moved to socket AM2, i think you'll have enough funds to go for 2 gigs of ram. i highly recommend you go with 2 gigs.

4) good building guide: http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2

Building a computer is a piece of cake...don't sweat it. Make sure you're grounded when you get started and don't force anything because everything flows pretty well if you do it right.
I would get a better psu. maybe a 500w or a 600w to be ready for future upgrades. I'd get a Antec TruePower 550W or something similar. You don't want to cheap out on the power supply.
I'd get 2GB of ram. I picked up 2 GB of DDR2 for about $130. Hella cheap. I'd get the 7900GT because if you keep waiting, you'll never have what you could of had. No one can beat the technology game. I'd use onboard audio if you aren't using great speakers. Depends on your needs, but most people will never need anything more than onboard audio. Also that hard drive doesn't cost that much. I bought one two weeks ago for $110.

aliasaid said:
1) the antec sonata case already comes with a good power supply, there's no need to buy a seperate powersupply. the only PSUs that come with cases that are worth getting are antec..

2) your mobo/cpu are socket 939. if you want to be able to upgrade in the future, go with socket AM2. performance is pretty much the same, and so are prices... but there is the option of future upgradeability.. while socket 939 is soon-to-be obsolete.

3) once you've removed the extra PSU and moved to socket AM2, i think you'll have enough funds to go for 2 gigs of ram. i highly recommend you go with 2 gigs.

4) good building guide: http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2

Thanks for the building guide, I'll read that later.

I can't use the PSU that comes with the case because it doesn't meet the requirements of my graphics card.

I Will probably upgrade the mobo and processor later, when I upgrade the graphics card (to DX10, or possibly an SLI 7900GT config), plus, there are still a few good processors out there that are socket 939.

persianxballer said:
Building a computer is a piece of cake...don't sweat it. Make sure you're grounded when you get started and don't force anything because everything flows pretty well if you do it right.
I would get a better psu. maybe a 500w or a 600w to be ready for future upgrades. I'd get 2GB of ram. I picked up 2 GB of DDR2 for about $130. Hella cheap. I'd get the 7900GT because if you keep waiting, you'll never have what you could of had. No one can beat the technology game. I'd use onboard audio if you aren't using great speakers. Depends on your needs, but most people will never need anything more than onboard audio. Also that hard drive doesn't cost that much. I bought one two weeks ago for $110.

Thanks for the reassurance, but I am still nervous. I need a PCI sound card because I want to pull aall of the power I can out of this budget PC, so a seperate one is the way to go.

I have more RAM in my current PC, 768MB, and I'll just add that to the 1 GIG I am geting and that should fall just under a gig.

Ill look into finding a cheaper HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom