My rig plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

poveren

Baseband Member
How's it going, its been over 6 years since I've built my last computer and a lot has changed. Here's what I plan to order so far from tigerdirect:

Case: Ultra Aluminus ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports

Ultra Aluminus ATX Black Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, Firewire and Audio Ports ULT31824 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca - $86

CPU - intel q6600 - <b>189</b>

Motherboard - Asus P5N-D Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN, S/PDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID
Asus P5N-D Motherboard - NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI, Socket 775, ATX, Audio, PCI Express 2.0, Gigabit LAN, SPDIF, USB 2.0, Firewire, Serial ATA, RAID in Canada at TigerDirect.ca - $183

RAM - OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB)

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB) OCZ2N800SR4GK in Canada at TigerDirect.ca - $49.99 after $30 MIR

Videocard - XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra Video Card - 768MB DDR3, SLI Ready, PCI Express, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card

XFX GeForce 8800 Ultra Video Card - 768MB DDR3, SLI Ready, PCI Express, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, Video Card PVT80USHF9 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca - $199.99!

I hope you guys can help me with:

1. a PSU suggestion, keeping in mind that i was thinking of SLIing down the road
2. if some of my part choices arent that great
3. a cooler suggestion for the cpu since i'm planning to overclock that q6600

Thanks!!

What is your Budget? Ast this point there is no reason to get a 8800gtx/ultra when a HD 4850 will give you better performance at a lower price. I also do not recommend getting a sli motherboard as they are generally not as good as intel chipsets.

CPU cooler - Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I wouldn't order from tigerdirect, their prices seem to be a bit higher than neweggs. Also, as for video card, I'd either go with a 4850 or spend another $50 and get a 4870. ATI has the best performance per cost right now.

Oh, and this mobo Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Oh sorry, my budget is not set in stone but preferrably around $1000.
In other words if there's another part that you would suggest instead, I welcome it, but I expect it to be of a roughly the same price.

By the way those are all in Canadian dollars.

CPU cooler - Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

I wouldn't order from tigerdirect, their prices seem to be a bit higher than neweggs. Also, as for video card, I'd either go with a 4850 or spend another $50 and get a 4870. ATI has the best performance per cost right now.

Yeah, I know newegg is great but they dont ship to Canada as of yet :(

Also, judging by your suggestion, are you saying that a 650W PSU is enough for handing 2 videocards (SLI/CF) ?

With you budget I would get

cpu Intel E8400
Motherboard Biostar tp45hp
Ram 2x1gb or 2x2gb of DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 ram (depending on budget)
Hard Drive Western Digital 640gb HDD
Psu Corsair 650tx
Case Antec 300 case
Graphics HD 4850 512mb
Optical drive sata DVD burner
Cpu cooler Xigmatek S1283

I would order form ncix since their prices are lower than tgerdirect.

NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.

Yeah, I know newegg is great but they dont ship to Canada as of yet :(

Also, judging by your suggestion, are you saying that a 650W PSU is enough for handing 2 videocards (SLI/CF) ?
Why two? Perhaps Crossfire but don't bother with SLi, it's a waste of time and, as mentioned, the nVidia boards are not as good as Intel chips. Get a P45 board (Asus P5Q-Deluxe or Gigabyte P45-DS3R/DQ6) and a HD4850 or HD4870 if you can stretch, then get another one WHEN you need it. ;)

As for the RAM, it's not great timings 5-4-4 vs. the 4-4-4 you can get, get some Ballistix (Tracers preferably) if you can afford them or OCZ Reapers.

Get the Q6600 if you can find a good batch, or else the e8400

It will be plenty for CF 4850s or something but if you can spend the extra money on a 750tx I'd go that route and not have to worry at all and you are set if you ever decide to upgrade to 4870s.

So what motherboard would you recommend instead? And are the rest of the components good?

I would get the Biostar TP45HP for the motherboard. My previous post contains a list of my recommendations for the other components.

The biostar TP45 is a good p45 based motherbaord to go with. It is also cnosiderably cheaper than the Asus P5.

I would also go with a Radeon 4850 or 4870 instead of the nvidia. Right now ATI's cards beat nvidia in price performance, and dont get me started on nvidia's motherboards. It was a long fall from the nforce 4.

As for memor ydont get ballistics. They got cheap on us and they arent as good as they used to be.

For your cpu any of the 45nm wolfdales would be a smart choice. The popular ones are the e7200 e8400 and e8500. The e8400 and 8500 can outperform most quads in gaming and can OC very well. The e7200 is an e8500 with half the cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom