My Rig, maybe soon with pictures. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 555
Default My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Well, finally, thanks to a whole lotta help from a whole lotta cool dudes on the net (you guys!) My computer is on it's way, and I hope to update this with pictures and stuff so all of you see just how happy it makes me. ^_^


Long story short, my computer is about 7 years old, most of the parts anyway, and it needed a drastic overhaul so I could enjoy some of today's more demanding games, as well as do some photo and 3D editing.


The build:
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Monitor: Newegg.com - ASUS VH222H Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor Built in Speakers 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR20000:1) w/ SPDIF out - LCD Monitors


Still to come:
Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
GPU:Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards



So in my sig one day it will read:
What do you get with...
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB 7200 RPM
?
-one happy chick-
__________________

Gothch1ck is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
I feel funny...
 
thirdshiftdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lowell,Ma
Posts: 3,808
Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Nice system.
There's a V2 version of that board out
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
__________________

thirdshiftdj is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,479
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Nice build but I suggest this GPU

GTX 260 (New 55 nm version with 216 stream processing cores) for $199.99 after MIR
Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
maroon1 is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothch1ck View Post
Well, finally, thanks to a whole lotta help from a whole lotta cool dudes on the net (you guys!) My computer is on it's way, and I hope to update this with pictures and stuff so all of you see just how happy it makes me. ^_^


Long story short, my computer is about 7 years old, most of the parts anyway, and it needed a drastic overhaul so I could enjoy some of today's more demanding games, as well as do some photo and 3D editing.


The build:
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Mobo: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

HDD: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Monitor: Newegg.com - ASUS VH222H Black 21.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen 16:9 Full HD 1080P LCD Monitor Built in Speakers 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR20000:1) w/ SPDIF out - LCD Monitors


Still to come:
Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
GPU:Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards



So in my sig one day it will read:
What do you get with...
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz
OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB 7200 RPM
?
-one happy chick-
Build looks fine.. maybe drop the P6T Deluxe to the normal P6T because its got more features and its cheaper
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Santuzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 644
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
Build looks fine.. maybe drop the P6T Deluxe to the normal P6T because its got more features and its cheaper
What features are those?

I ordered the P6T Deluxe, but I could still change my order. In what way would the P6T be a better choice than the Deluxe version?
Santuzzo is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

If you already ordered it, then forget it... no need to waste it
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Santuzzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 644
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
If you already ordered it, then forget it... no need to waste it
But the order is not sent out yet, it would be no problem to change it. I will change the DVD bruner anyway.
So, if it would make sense to change to the P6T I'd want to do it. What exactly would be the advantage over the Deluxe?
Santuzzo is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 555
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Ok first off, No.

the V2 sucks. it has no SAS support. thats the only difference, and I plan to use my SAS, and it was only like 10 bucks more. No big deal, mail ins cover that.

The Deluxe is better for me, because I will NOT be using Tri-GPU. Ever. This was already handled, parts are already ordered or here, except the ones listed in "Still to come"

Tri GPU isn't worth the price ratios for me. 3x GPU for 3x price for like 50% performance boost (estimated max) Not a huge deal when I don't have a HUGE monitor. (its only 21.5 1080P, 1920x1080 reccomended resolution, 1 GPU handles it all fine)

In fact my old GPU here can handle MOST games at Medium graphics level on full screen without too much of an issue- some have a little problem and have to be tweaked, Like my favorite- Fallout 3- I have to play on Low, which is a crying shame. Can't wait to get all this together and blast Super Mutants on Highest graphics.

Why recommend Nvidea over my 4870? besides the minor price difference.
Gothch1ck is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus
 
Puddle Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,286
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

This MSI HD 4870 1gb is cheaper than the sapphire but still has a good cooler.

Newegg.com - MSI R4870-T2D1G Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
__________________

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Puddle Jumper is offline  
Old 02-20-2009, 07:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 555
Default Re: My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

yea one of the biggest reasons I picked the sapphire was the cooler, that one performs as well, or better? or what?

Also.. whats the best thermal paste to use now a days? (remember using an i7,and unkown Cooler right now, just have stock, which is big and seems nice, but has bare copper surface and no paste...
__________________

Gothch1ck is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Building a new rig Sonofjohn New Systems | Building and Buying 12 01-19-2009 01:09 AM
Quad GPU motherboard recommendations for folding rig jfenwick New Systems | Building and Buying 9 01-18-2009 08:28 PM
Striker II Extreme 790i, new rig problem. System slow? manowar Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 3 07-09-2008 05:15 AM
My pictures don't show up when I open the folder in Windows kathysvideos Microsoft Windows and Software 10 07-13-2007 02:49 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.