My Rig: Extensive advice or insite needed plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had you mentioned before that you would be 3d modeling and doing graphic design the answers would be slightly different the original build I suggested with one more ram kit would benefit you nicely and would come out to just under $1800

I also do a lot of graphic design work and 3d modeling, so i was kinda wanting a rig that is mostly for gaming but i could also tinker around with 3ds max and maya. Maybe mudbox or zbrush.

:wink:

Great information here. Thanks to those who posted to this thread. I have been out of gaming for a couple of years (vehicle project), and I am looking for this same info.

Yes, i would be doing some 3d modeling on the side with this computer, nothing heavy though. More tinkering and learning then for real production works.

Also i may go with a SSD, im not sure yet. I'm an American, its all about instant gratification !!

And I'm not sure that 12 gigs would be beneficial since a lot of programs like aftereffects and maya only recognize so much ram XD

The Graphics card that was suggested in the quote above just seemed to disappear over night!

So i went with this one. What do you guys think? ( I already purchased the darned thing so i hope its an epic thumbs up ) XD
Newegg.com - XFX HD-597A-CNB9 Radeon HD 5970 Black Edition 2GB 512 (256 x 2)-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Also, i have been looking into lapping my CPU / Heat Sink as well. Now should i check them with a razor and see if they are flat, or should i just go for it? Also i bought some of the Artic Silver 5 to toss on after the fact. Was that a good choice in thermite paste? I have heard a lot of people suggest it on the forums. Another thing, in one of the youtube vids that was linked under the lapping forum stickies the guy used rubbing alcohol for the removal of the paste on the CPU, is this better than the Paste removal stuff?

Thanks Techie Forums! Im sure ill be seeing you more when i get into overclocking!

lapping will increase cooler performance when done poperly, but if you mess it up it can be worse than if you dont.... not trying to deter you just saying be careful when you do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom