My Rig: Extensive advice or insite needed plz!

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ nope. Oh, and sorry I left a bit out. 2k grit, water and dishwashing liquid. Really you could chuck your whole CPU in a bucket of water and it'd be fine.

The only damage water will do is create electrical connections where there shouldn't be (only applicable if the device is being powered, which it's not) and corrode the pins/IHS/etc (only will happen if you don't dry the CPU carefully or if you leave water on it for a prolonged period of time).

^ nope. Oh, and sorry I left a bit out. 2k grit, water and dishwashing liquid. Really you could chuck your whole CPU in a bucket of water and it'd be fine.

The only damage water will do is create electrical connections where there shouldn't be (only applicable if the device is being powered, which it's not) and corrode the pins/IHS/etc (only will happen if you don't dry the CPU carefully or if you leave water on it for a prolonged period of time).

So what would my technique be exactly? take a little water with dish washing liquid, like dawn, and apply it to the cpu how exactly? Via a cloth? I had to use toilet paper and a business card to protect the pins while i was lapping since there was no black backing to it. Would i still do the normal motions? Like in a strait line, turn it 1/4 degree and so on?

Wouldn't there be water deposits left on the cpu once it dried? Or would i use rubbing alcohol after im done with the water?

Thanks!

If you wanted to do it this way, then yeah basically put a tiny dab of dawn on the cpu and spread it over the top (I use my finger, meh), wet the sandpaper (gotta use the right type btw), and then proceed as normal. Only difference I make in this last stage is decreasing the number of reps I do before doing a rotation. I.e normally I'd do 20 before turning the cpu, but with the 2k and water I turn every 5 or so. Before this stage I just use 1600 grit like normal, so I'm pretty darn close to a mirror finish anyway. This just gets rid of nearly all the tiny scratches.

pics or it didnt happen :p

and smoother flatter surface = lower temps = profit ;)

EDIT:

oh, and Therow, shininess doesnt really have any affect in temps and thats not the point of lapping a processor, the point is to make it absolutely flat so as much of the heat sink can touch the processor as possible... thats what gets you lower temps, not how mirror like it is ;)

and lapping a processor will only offer at BEST 3 - 4 ° lower temps. so dont expect a 20° difference...

^indeed. A mirror like surface means a smooth surface, but it doesn't mean a flat one. That comes down to your lapping technique :)

Smoother = better at allowing heat to pass through though, that is one of the purposes of thermal paste is to fill the gaps in it, and it you can reduce those gaps, you don't have to use as much thermal paste, :3

pics or it didnt happen :p

and smoother flatter surface = lower temps = profit ;)

EDIT:

oh, and Therow, shininess doesnt really have any affect in temps and thats not the point of lapping a processor, the point is to make it absolutely flat so as much of the heat sink can touch the processor as possible... thats what gets you lower temps, not how mirror like it is ;)

and lapping a processor will only offer at BEST 3 - 4 ° lower temps. so dont expect a 20° difference...

But shininess is godliness, or so some say ... I think its just cool ;)

I think i may have just not done enough with the 1k grit, so i went back on it after i did my heat sink, which is uber mirror right now!

I need to finish it, im tired, school and all. Ima go get some coffee and power out my cpu so i can finish my comp tomorrow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom