Is my ram defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triple-X

In Runtime
Right now I have 1.0 GB of ram. I have 2 x 256 pc3200 and 2x 256 pc2700. I got a gig of ram for x-mas, pc3200, and I put the ram in, and my computer turns on and then it starts windows and right when it's supposed to go into the desktop it restarts. I also checked my motherboard on crucial.com to see how much ram it can hande, and it said it can handle 4 GB. I also tried only putting in the pc3200's, took the 2700 out, but same result. Any ideas? Is the ram defective?

This is what I bought:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1024MB-PC32...832073899QQcategoryZ74942QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is my crucial.com specs:
http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/viewscanbyid.asp?id=42669F2431D926C3&tabid=AM&pagename=

I doubt it's dead, but it's always a bad idea to mix RAM brands and speeds. It's either that or your board dosn't support 2GB.

What motherboard do you have?
Try just using 1 stick of 512MB in each dimm slot and try booting to windows. If all else fails with the DDR400, try clearing your CMOS and re-try what i've suggested.

The RAM is 1 stick of 1GB. My motherboard is MSI (Micro Star) MS-7046.

System Specs:
240-pin DIMM Banking
4 (2 banks of 2)
Chipset
Intel 915P
DDR SDRAM Frequencies
PC2700 and PC3200
Error Detection Support
Non-ECC only
Graphics Support
PCI Express x16
Max Unbuffered DDR2 SDRAM
4096MB
Module Types Supported
Unbuffered only
Supported DRAM Types
DDR SDRAM only
USB Support
2.x Compliant
The information provided above is a standard setup as shipped from the manufacturer. You can see your current configuration with The Crucial System Scanner

I bought another 512 stick into my shitty mobo...
The one I had was PC 2700 and the one I bought was PC 3200,...
I had THE EXACT SAME problem,...I just switched the sticks around in their slots and then it worked...
That was my solution...Try that - Good Luck

The ram might not be defective, it is either not accepted by windows or your computer. (That's why my brother uses OpenBSD and built his computer himself).

I just sent the ram back through RMA, should get new ram in a little bit. Is the ram really compatible though? Through the crucial scanner it says it supports 4096mb, so that's not a problem. The scanner also said that it supports pc3200 and pc2700, both DDR333 and DDR400. Is there anything else that I should look into?

Motherboard: MSI (Micro Star) MS-7046

The ram that was bought:

Single 1024MB (1GB) DIMM
PC3200 400Mhz DDR Memory
Chip Configuration: 128x64
Chip Density: 128x4 (High Density)
Unbuffered, Non Ecc, Non Registered
High Speed
Double-Sided With 8 Chips Per Side
184 Gold-Plated Pins, SPD Support

Status
Not open for further replies.