my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Bulldog
 
zmatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In an empty Ramen packet
Posts: 4,660
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Even If you arent Over Clocking the Opty is still a better choice IMO. I got it to 2.2ghz with stock cooling an value ram.
__________________

__________________


ポップ・タルトが大好きです。
<<<<<<<Rep is always welcome
Ultimate Guitar exercises/ Songs for technique
zmatt is offline  
Old 06-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hellfire!
 
Wildside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 3,038
Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmatt View Post
Even If you arent Over Clocking the Opty is still a better choice IMO. I got it to 2.2ghz with stock cooling an value ram.
IMO?

well i feel more comfortable with a x2 3800+ because it has a HT 2000 MHz n it's desktop. I plan on OCing at least 200MHz more or so.

what is the bus speed of ur Opteron? The more the better.
__________________

__________________
--Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
--AMD Ryzen 1700x @ 3.4GHz w/ MX-4 and Corsair Hydro 100i Liquid Cooler
--Corsair LPX Vengeance Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 DRAM
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Wildside is offline  
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
IMO?

well i feel more comfortable with a x2 3800+ because it has a HT 2000 MHz n it's desktop. I plan on OCing at least 200MHz more or so.

what is the bus speed of ur Opteron? The more the better.
1.8 ghz is the Opteron 165's stock speed... and don't read those anymore... i mean it doesn't matter anymore...
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 06-28-2007, 11:53 PM   #14 (permalink)
Inquiry - The Dark Cheese
 
darksideleader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 953
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
1.8 ghz is the Opteron 165's stock speed... and don't read those anymore... i mean it doesn't matter anymore...
doesn't matter no more? y not? same generation proccesor that came out at same time and same technologies. We're not comparing with AMD and Intel here with very different cache sizes, clock speeds and FSB.

The 3800x2 has half the cache but we saw the reviews and A64 realy on a higher clock than more cache.
darksideleader is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 12:35 AM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
doesn't matter no more? y not? same generation proccesor that came out at same time and same technologies. We're not comparing with AMD and Intel here with very different cache sizes, clock speeds and FSB.

The 3800x2 has half the cache but we saw the reviews and A64 realy on a higher clock than more cache.
ok then i'll give u a better example then..... and this will prove to u that Clock speeds no longer matter.....

ok take some random Intel Core 2 Duo Processor... i'll use the e6320 vs the
Intel Pentium D 945 Presler (the clock speeds are 1.86 ghz and 3.4 ghz respectively) yet even tho the Presler has a higher clock speed and the same cache (nearly double in fact) the e6320 still trounces the Pentium D by a large margin.....
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Hellfire!
 
Wildside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 3,038
Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
ok then i'll give u a better example then..... and this will prove to u that Clock speeds no longer matter.....

ok take some random Intel Core 2 Duo Processor... i'll use the e6320 vs the
Intel Pentium D 945 Presler (the clock speeds are 1.86 ghz and 3.4 ghz respectively) yet even tho the Presler has a higher clock speed and the same cache (nearly double in fact) the e6320 still trounces the Pentium D by a large margin.....
first of all, im planning on getting a dual-core, not the latest parts.......yet. A dual-core upgrade is a huge upgrade from single core n i need one dearly. Like i said, i will pass my mobo, graphics card, CPU, etc except HDD to my brother is my plan.

the point of why im doing this, is because of 1) i need my computer fixed RIGHT NOW *sig* 2) im gonna get Hellgate: London n a PhysX Accelerator probably at the same time, the game supports it n my parts r getting outdated for future games to run on it. Lastly, 3) ive been planning on getting rid of my computer but not garbage wise.
__________________
--Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
--AMD Ryzen 1700x @ 3.4GHz w/ MX-4 and Corsair Hydro 100i Liquid Cooler
--Corsair LPX Vengeance Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 DRAM
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Wildside is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
veg1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19,993
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
first of all, im planning on getting a dual-core, not the latest parts.......yet. A dual-core upgrade is a huge upgrade from single core n i need one dearly. Like i said, i will pass my mobo, graphics card, CPU, etc except HDD to my brother is my plan.

the point of why im doing this, is because of 1) i need my computer fixed RIGHT NOW *sig* 2) im gonna get Hellgate: London n a PhysX Accelerator probably at the same time, the game supports it n my parts r getting outdated for future games to run on it. Lastly, 3) ive been planning on getting rid of my computer but not garbage wise.
ya i know....... i wasn't talking to u... i was talking to darksideleader who disagreed with what i said about the clockspeeds.... but i say get the opty hands down
__________________
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.


.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
veg1992 is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #18 (permalink)
Hellfire!
 
Wildside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 3,038
Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
ya i know....... i wasn't talking to u... i was talking to darksideleader who disagreed with what i said about the clockspeeds.... but i say get the opty hands down
i just wanted to bunt in, sry.

to make the Opteron 165 as good as the x2 3800+, i need to intensely OC the Opteron 165, which i said im not gonna OC a lot, only a little bit. I've made up mind n im gonna get the x2 3800+, sry dude my choice.
__________________
--Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
--AMD Ryzen 1700x @ 3.4GHz w/ MX-4 and Corsair Hydro 100i Liquid Cooler
--Corsair LPX Vengeance Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 DRAM
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Wildside is offline  
Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 506
Default Re: my plan now tell the end of this year in upgrading my computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
ya i know....... i wasn't talking to u... i was talking to darksideleader who disagreed with what i said about the clockspeeds.... but i say get the opty hands down
clock speeds dont matter anymore youre right and when youre talking about optys and say they do matter thats just not right. The only real reason you buy and opty is too oc it so clockspeeds matter only in the fact that you can guess what it can top off with that. But they dont matter like they used to b4. Darkside thinks that if youre opty performs at 1.8ghz thats what it is wrong its not like before when we could oc a p4 to 4.0ghz and it would own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildside View Post
i just wanted to bunt in, sry.

to make the Opteron 165 as good as the x2 3800+, i need to intensely OC the Opteron 165, which i said im not gonna OC a lot, only a little bit. I've made up mind n im gonna get the x2 3800+, sry dude my choice.
Ok then gl with that .
__________________

__________________
Alienware Full Tower Aurora Case
ABIT AV8 1.5 SOCKET 939 K8 MB
Amd X2 4800 socket 939
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
2x 500gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s (running at 1.5 Gb/s)
Radeonģ X1950PRO AGP Xtreme Gamer Edition AGP x8
Logitech Z-5500 Digital
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels
VIGOR GAMING CLT-M2A 92mm Thermal Electric CPU Cooler
SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM ATX12V (700 watts)
Logitech G15
LG Flatron Wide 24in
Razer Copperhead Green (First Edition)
AHS 615 Gaming Headset
Windows Vitsa Ultamite (running at 32-bit)
wolfeyes89 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you think of my Budget Gaming Build spikoman69 New Systems | Building and Buying 8 06-24-2007 06:50 PM
Need Help upgrading my Computer for Crysis! Fayt19 New Systems | Building and Buying 27 06-15-2007 08:07 PM
computer works fine for 1 year and then... SomeIranianKid Hardware Repairs and Troubleshooting 9 06-11-2007 01:07 PM
New build Please Review waytoosmall New Systems | Building and Buying 9 04-13-2007 09:05 PM
Upgrading Computer. alex12345 New Systems | Building and Buying 2 03-28-2007 03:34 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.