My plan - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2007, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Default Re: My plan

dang am i late on the build critiquing lately... but summary of everyone's opinions so far:

1. Brisbanes will own the Windsor because of the 65nm process(also used by Core 2 Duos) which is why they overclock well because it doesn't heat up so much
2. EVga 590 is really decent, and Nagasama here would know, since he owns both the mobo with the Brisbane X2 3600+
3. PSU is ur choice go with Sora's or b1apl's choice
4. If you want to just put in ur old hard drive without formatting, i recommend adding the Mobo drivers in the System and it MAY be able to recognize it, just a theory so don't flame me cuz i lack evidence

Old 05-26-2007, 12:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to KingAustin

It's possible to just plug in your harddrive in to a new motherboard and have it work off the bat. It probably doesn't work on all, but when I was fixing my dad's computer it worked. You will most likely have to re-activate your windows copy though because "the hardware has changed dramatically" -that's how microsoft puts it at least.

E6300 w/ AF7 Pro 3.11ghz
Gigabyte DS3
2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
7900GT w/ Zalman vf900 650/800
Z-5500 Digital Speakers
22" Chimei + 19" BENQ
XClio 3060
Old 05-26-2007, 05:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

i always thought u have to reintsall os when changing over a MB
<<<Please give me Rep if I have helped you<<<

I7 930 @ 4GHz : Noctua D-14
Gigabyte X58A-UD7 : Asus GTX 480
G.Skill Trident 1600MHz 6-8-7-18 : Samsung F3 1TB
OCZ Vertex 2 50GB : Silverstone RV02 Case
Silverstone Strider Plus 1Kw : Sony DRU-870s Optical
Samsung P2350 Monito

Old 05-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Yes, that's what you usually have to do. There are exceptions, sometimes.(edit) Like what kingaustin mentioned.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via MSN to kobe24

Old 05-26-2007, 09:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i didnt have to re-install my os when i went from my abit to this evga. i simply uninstalled everything abit and installed the mobo drivers from evga.
but, i have now had to re-format my hdd because of evga's tech support, which is about as useful as a third nut.
i was on hte phone for about two hours last nite with them and the guy i was talking to seemed more interestedin eating his bag of doritos than helping me out.
anyway...had a driver conflict with the network manager (because it's in both the chipset drivers and the card drivers) and wouldn't let me uninstall it.
so, the brain surgeon at evga suggested that i delete the files manually and then perform a repair install of windows. weeellllp...while doing the repair install it asks for several specific files from nvidia that weren't there anymore. DOH! what an idiot. i cant believe i let him talk me into doing that. really what i cant believe is that i hadn't been backing up for awhile and lost alot of personal stuff. pictures and the work or tax or insurance stuff so whew!
bad nagasama, bad boy. in any event, evga's tech support blows. the guy on the phone was putting a hsf on while i was trying to explain to him what was happening...then instead of answsering my question he's like, "do you know how to put the hsf on an intel mobo? do you know how to put on as5?"
wtf? nagasama's tech support here, how can i help ya?
sorry to hijack the thread but im pretty p**sed it's going to take me all day at least to get my things back in order.
i love this mobo, though...make no mistake.
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Old 05-26-2007, 10:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie

i see...oh well i'll just get my friend's 80gb external hdd and transfer all my stuff. guess i have to spend $100 on a windows xp cd *sigh* (i stole mine from my friend's cd :P)

but at the same time, should i still manage to get that evga mobo? hm.........

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz
Artic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
2x 2GB Patriot DDR3 1333
eVGA GTX 460 768MB
500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM SATA
Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Closed Thread