My plan

Status
Not open for further replies.
dang am i late on the build critiquing lately... but summary of everyone's opinions so far:

1. Brisbanes will own the Windsor because of the 65nm process(also used by Core 2 Duos) which is why they overclock well because it doesn't heat up so much
2. EVga 590 is really decent, and Nagasama here would know, since he owns both the mobo with the Brisbane X2 3600+
3. PSU is ur choice go with Sora's or b1apl's choice
4. If you want to just put in ur old hard drive without formatting, i recommend adding the Mobo drivers in the System and it MAY be able to recognize it, just a theory so don't flame me cuz i lack evidence

It's possible to just plug in your harddrive in to a new motherboard and have it work off the bat. It probably doesn't work on all, but when I was fixing my dad's computer it worked. You will most likely have to re-activate your windows copy though because "the hardware has changed dramatically" -that's how microsoft puts it at least.

Yes, that's what you usually have to do. There are exceptions, sometimes.(edit) Like what kingaustin mentioned.

i didnt have to re-install my os when i went from my abit to this evga. i simply uninstalled everything abit and installed the mobo drivers from evga.
but, i have now had to re-format my hdd because of evga's tech support, which is about as useful as a third nut.
i was on hte phone for about two hours last nite with them and the guy i was talking to seemed more interestedin eating his bag of doritos than helping me out.
anyway...had a driver conflict with the network manager (because it's in both the chipset drivers and the card drivers) and wouldn't let me uninstall it.
so, the brain surgeon at evga suggested that i delete the files manually and then perform a repair install of windows. weeellllp...while doing the repair install it asks for several specific files from nvidia that weren't there anymore. DOH! what an idiot. i cant believe i let him talk me into doing that. really what i cant believe is that i hadn't been backing up for awhile and lost alot of personal stuff. pictures and the like...no work or tax or insurance stuff so whew!
bad nagasama, bad boy. in any event, evga's tech support blows. the guy on the phone was putting a hsf on while i was trying to explain to him what was happening...then instead of answsering my question he's like, "do you know how to put the hsf on an intel mobo? do you know how to put on as5?"
wtf? nagasama's tech support here, how can i help ya?
sorry to hijack the thread but im pretty p**sed it's going to take me all day at least to get my things back in order.
i love this mobo, though...make no mistake.

i see...oh well i'll just get my friend's 80gb external hdd and transfer all my stuff. guess i have to spend $100 on a windows xp cd *sigh* (i stole mine from my friend's cd :p)

but at the same time, should i still manage to get that evga mobo? hm.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom