Is my PC that I built this year already outdated!?! Specs inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
Specs are in my sig.

First, I was dissapointed because I mostly built this rig back in March of this year mainly for Flight Simulator X. I got HORRIBLE performance and have been bummed for awhile. All other games and programs ran fine though.

Well, today I downloaded the Crysis demo, and holy crap! I only get about 20 FPS on 1680x1050 with 0 AA. If I switch it to 2x AA, I get about 5 FPS. (This is with all the options turned ON). I think it is about time to upgrade, no? Would I see a MAJOR difference with a new Quad Core and GPU?

Please advise -

Joe

Its not outdated, its rather good actually. But those two games are the most demanding to date.

Did you download the SP1 for FSX? Thats a must. Do not turn all the options up, try medium and then change the details from there to get best performance and looks.

Crysis will not max out well with todays hardware. There are a few options that are real FPS killers on high settings but look fine and play well on medium i.e. the shadows. Take a look at the Crysis thread here or a Crysis forum to see what people suggest.
Do not try AA. And it seems that the demo uses only one core. Performance should increase with the actual game.

Your system is actualy quite fine. Im not sure why your getting horrible performance on FSX cause thats a cpu demanding game really and my X2 cuts it just fine. Are you running Vista for DX10 or no? I have no troubles running FSX. Crysis on the other hand, were all having problems with that one lol.

i thought crysis demo was only dx9, and yes that is a very demanding game maybe even similar to oblivion of today.

Demo is DX10.

I use these specs:

Objects: Med
Shadows: Med
Shaders: Med
Post Processing: High
Physics: Very High
Water: Very High
Sound: Med

with everything else on LOW. And it looks great and runs well. Saw no difference other than crap fps when changing anything else.

Yeh I won't even be able to do wonderful on crysis. ^^ Youd probably be able to Notice a difference.. but nothign worth spending 5-600$ over right now. That's my opinion though.

You might want to upgrade from the 640 to a GT and get a penryn when they come out but other than that you should be fine. Crysis is just an obscene game when it comes to hardware demands.

In Crysis I set shaders to high and almost everything else to low and at 1024x768 it looks good. (Unforunately my computer started being weird and if I set that res anywhere the screen changes shape.)

simple answer is every computer is out of date as soon as you start it up- new things come out- new stuff on the market and someones always making things better by OC or whatever- but-

your computer stats seem fine for the age category, I mean seriously youve got a 64 bit, dual core processor runnin over 3ghz, good power supply, over 1 gig of ram, 2 is great- 4 is superb for gaming but not "needed" 8800GTS 640 graphics is still great and most the other stuff is just preference.

Your not "state of the art" anymore but your far from "out of date"

Out of date is my good ol' 1.35Ghz, 768Ram, 128mb vid Machine. *laughing that turns into calm crying*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom