My new rig is done!!!1!!11 - Page 5 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 AM   #41 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: My new rig is done!!!1!!11

You wouldn't like working where I do then according to that app, dB is 65 just in the middle of the room. If I approach the server rack, it hits up to 78!

"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 03-26-2012, 03:24 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master Techie

my dads desktop in the same room when its on is at 75dba, that thing is stupid loud.

Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #43 (permalink)
Build Guru

Originally Posted by Sean W. View Post
hey guys,

a bit of an update... not really anything yet, still waiting for my seller to send me the second card.

but i downloaded a sound measuring app on my phone its called " Sound Meter " by Smart Tools Co., it can be found in Google play store, its a free app that has gotten a lot of good reviews. so anyway, i measured the acustic levels of my computer at idle and load with my phone sitting in the middle of the desk with the mic of the phone overhanging the edge of the desk heres what i got

Idle: 39dba
Load: 44dba

to get these mesurement, on the idle i started the app, left the room for 5 minutes and came back, the app keeps track of the minnimum, average and max dba's, so i took the lowest measured sound level as my idle.

load, i started furmark and prime 95 and turned my fan controller all the way up, reset the app so it cleared all the previous values left the room for 5 minutes, and took the lowest measurement as my load temp. it peaked at 78dba's but that was probably me putting the phone down, getting out of the chair, breathing etc.

so im going to replace the 2 weekest links as far as noise producers go, the fan on the cooler and the stock 120mm corsair rear exhaust fan with noctuas and see what difference its going to make. ill bet putting noctua fans in there will drop the idle sound to around 30dba's. the cooler fan is crazy loud, easily the loudest thing in my computer.

for fun, i turned the graphics card fan up to 100%, that peaked at 68dbs! haha, that thing got loud as heck!

feel free to get that app if you have an android phone and tell me what your computer registers at.

memer, i had the phone in the middle of my desk with the mic over hanging the edge of my desk, and my computer is about 2 feet away from the mic on the floor.

also, i installed Crysis ( the original ) and i get about 70fps average with the one 6970...

i turn AA off cause crysis has a coding problem, having AA on doesnt improve the picture at all, everything else was at enthusiast (highest ) @1080x1920
Doing that test method wouldn't work for me as my server is louder than my PC and is on the table behind my monitors. I also have a fan on the floor next to my chair keeping me cool. I took a video last year with an actual DB meter and even while using my Sythe fans my PC was pretty quiet. I don't trust little gadgets like the ones on phones as you really don't know how accurate they are.

Btw, AA makes a difference for me. Try forcing it in the CCC.

"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Closed Thread