My New PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
This is the PC I plan on putting together myself. If anything looks wrong or if anything could be better for high demand apps then let me know!

Part Price

Motherboard: Intel D975XBX Socket 775 ATX Motherboard $310.99
CPU: Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 $1230.99
Case: Aspire Black/Black X-Plorer ATX Mid-Tower Case $80.99
PSU: Ultra X-Connect 500-Watt ATX Dual 80mm Fan $107.99
RAM: OCZ EL Dual Channel 1024MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz $175.99
Video Card: eVGA GeForce 7800 GT 256MB DDR3 $319.97
Audio Card: Creative Audigy 4 $186.99
Monitor: FujiPlus 19” FP-988D SXGA DVI Port $249.97
Speakers: RealWorld Sicuro RW-670XL 5.1 Speakers $128.99
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10K RPM 8MB Cache $166.99
Keyboard: Logitech G15 Keyboard $107.99
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse $70.99

Total: $3138.81

The total is about $2724.49 USD. All the prices are in CDN currency and are from tigerdirect.ca

Chris

Get at least a 7800GTX, it will suit that CPU much better. I'd also reccomend doubling your memory. Go with OCZ for a PSU and Thermaltake or Lian-LI for your case. Otherwise it looks good. Are you sure you can't find a cheaper motherboard though? Also, are you sure you want to go with Intel?

Well I was looking at the specs of everything and many articles said that the new 955 Extreme is a very close competitor to the AMD 4800+. There were also not too many motherboards availible for that processor cuz its so new. Any recommendations for another?

Chris

if money is not a problem, i guess go for the intel, but for being a "close competitor" it's $600 more than a 4800+
personally i'd opt for the 4800+ and then get a 7800GTX...that's IF you are buying right now. if not for a month or 2, wait for the 7900's....there's alot you can do with that $600 to make other parts better...also, are you a complete music freak? recording music and all that? if not, you could probably make do with the onboard audio that comes on most motherboards...i'd at least recommend trying wihtout the audio card, if not satisfied, buy it.

what do you mean .. HIGH DEMAND APPS... GAMes or what if mostly games go for amd if not intel bc they are better for calculations

What do you do more of, gaming and video/audio editing or encoding and compressing files? AMD is generally better for games and media, intel seems better for encoding, etc. Either way, the AMD is going to give you more bang for your buck.

wow lots of questions and help thx! :) ok since I am a programmer and graphics designer as I am studying those in school now, I need to run lots of progs at the same time. I am making small game mods and other things as well as new small games with my project team.

I need to run WebSphere, 3D Studio Max, IE7, The Sims 2 (best test mod game), Photoshop CS2, Borland Compiler and Sony ACID simultaneously for projects so I need some good speed. But ya I only need to get this by July this year since my graphics course starts then. And if the 7900 is coming out that soon then maybe I could get that. Do u know how much it will sell for?

As for the audio I would like top quality sound and I was not sure about the onboard audio. Is it good enough to run sound creators?

And of course I would like it to run games at top graphics. But if the AMD is that much cheaper then I'll definitely consider it. I've just used Intel all my life and I'm fine with them.

And what about water cooling sytems? Are they better than fans or just quieter? And is it easy to set up?

BTW thx for all the help everyone. I'm going to look in to it some more and put together new parts from what u said tomorrow.

Chris

I'm very partial to AMD's now, for that price of the cpu, I would have got the AMD FX60. And since you run so many apps and you've spent so much already, I would get another 19" and run dual 19's. I did and believe me, you will not regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom