My New NZXT Tempest, Finally! (Pics!) - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #31 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking
Default Re: My New NZXT Tempest, Finally! (Pics!)

hokay, so i actually got my entire computer transplanted into the new case yesterday, but... i got kinda lazy and rushed as it got late and only took pictures in the beginning, but... i have those now if anyone wants to see them...
and also, im going to be going back and redoing the wiring a little more by the motherboard... this case has been AMAZING for wire management so far, and i know i can do more with it to clean up and hide all the wires even more... so prolly next weekend, ill take the motherboard out and try again, now that i kind of know where all the wires are coming from and where they need to end up... its been different since the PSU is in the bottom of the case as opposed to how my old one was in the top... and like i said, i just know i can do more... so look for that next weekend-ish... for now, heres some more pics! :

so i started by busting off the front panel of the case and installing my 3.5" and 5.25" bay drives...

it came with a nice 5.25" to 3.5" converter which i used to put in my USB flash card reader... then i put in my DVD drive on top of that... (ill also probably be getting an NZXT Sentry-1 soon to put in the top drive bay so i can monitor my case temps... and just cuz i got used to having an LCD on my RX-9... haha)

next, i took out the screws from the bottom 120mm fan and grill assembly and pulled that off so that i could get at the hard drive cage behind it... (this case will hold up to 8 internal 3.5" devices... but ill only ever use four max...)

so to increase airflow a little, and to eventually make room for my pump when i go to liquid-cooling, i just pulled the whole bottom hard drive cage out... it was pretty easy too... this case has been amazing so far

next, i decided to mount the two hard drives that ill be using, my raptor and my caviar... the HDDs are actually mounted vertically in this case, and have these nifty little brackets so that you dont have to screw or clamp anything in atall...

just position em in the holes on the drive, then slide em into the track...

*School, work, girls? No time for computers! :P*
Old 05-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #32 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Send a message via ICQ to therascalking Send a message via AIM to therascalking Send a message via Yahoo to therascalking

and just like that i got my raptor and caviar in... easiest installation ive ever done... (*note: i switched the two drives positions later, so you can kinda see the raptor's clear top better...)

next, i positioned and screwed in my PSU... as you can see, its gonna look sooo much better when i paint all the silver black this summer as part of my liquid-cooling overhaul...

and heres another shot of it, from the side... you can see how ridiculously roomy this case is... its great...

and finally, i put my motherboard in... looks great so far... only mistake is that i shoulda run a couple of the cable under the mobo before i screwed it down... otherwise stuff like my 8-pin power cord have to run on top of it like they are right now in order to reach... not horrible, but looking back, it would have been smarter...

oh and like i said i would, i went back and re-did the TIM on my CPU... hows this look, guys?

i used alottt less, and the 'X' method instead... ... and its actually been about 7-10C cooler since then... running at about 34-5C idle and mebbe like 45C load? somewhere in there according to Speedfan... whereas before it was at like 45C idle and almost 60C load... good stuff...

well anyways, thats all for now... but ill make sure and go back and post more later once i get my wire management down perfect... thanks for reading and now leave some feedback, plz! hehe - RK

Old 05-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #33 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Drizzt

I'm going to try that X method out after I lap my tuniq...
Graphics Card:GTX460 768MB @ 880/1760/2000
Hard Drive:2x WD Black 1TB
Power Supply:Xion 800W
Case:3DAurora
CPU cooling: H50
GPU cooling: Best Stock Cooling I Have Ever Had
Monitor:24" LG
Old 05-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #34 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

that is still more paste then i would put but it's fine.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 05-11-2008, 09:38 PM   #35 (permalink)
Renowned Budgeting Master

Send a message via AIM to Sora

that is a lot of paste...the dual-cores were said to only use a grain of rice size...not sure about the quads.
4x1GB of G.skill DDR2-800
2 8800GT in SLI
22" Samsung Syncmaster
1 250GB WD and 1 Seagate 7200.10 in RAID 0
Corsair 520HX 3DMark06 Score: 13900
Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #36 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

yes it is much more then he needs but it's alot better then his first attempt... but it isn't that bad. I would have put about half that. TIf you re-do it rascal... the X is supposed to me thin and not a blobby line. I'm not sure you exactly get the concept of applying thermal paste .
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
Devious Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke992006 View Post
yes it is much more then he needs but it's alot better then his first attempt... but it isn't that bad. I would have put about half that. TIf you re-do it rascal... the X is supposed to me thin and not a blobby line. I'm not sure you exactly get the concept of applying thermal paste .
yeaaa... that little syringe of TIM is ridiculously difficult to get a steady stream out of tho... makes it hard... but yea, its alot better than my first try, and its helped my temps alot since i redid it, so... thanks for the input, but now enough about the thermal paste!
talk about the case or the build or something! haha - RK

Old 05-12-2008, 03:21 AM   #38 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to hickfarm Send a message via MSN to hickfarm

Well if you are considering modding it at all, the first thing to go would be the perforated metal for the fans. just take a dremel and cut it out. Makes a case look better, quieter, and better air flow. Also if you want to paint the interior you will have to take off all of the panels, and the ones that are ribited on you would either have to tape off or drill the ribit off. If you want to paint the interior duplicolor or rustoleum is best. Or you can just use the cheap *** matte black stuff that actually works really good.

Also at least pop the front black covers off of the 2 fans. They pointless if you ask me.

Hmm i took pics when i dremeled out the metal on my fans.

Ok just so you know this was my first time ever using a dremel and i took the shortest paths to cut out the holes. Hence the little triangles around the edge. If you were to do this to your case it would turn out a lot better since the edges are straight lines.

Custom John Deere
DFI Infinity NF UlTRAII-M2 motherboard
20" Benq Monitor
320 gig Seagate hard drive, 1000gig internal Western Digital, 500gig MyBook
My John Deere Case==> http://hickfarm.com/blog/?cat=7
Old 05-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #39 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to hickfarm Send a message via MSN to hickfarm

Oh also don't feel to bad about wiring. LOL when i assembled my first computer it looked like spaghetti just thrown into my case.
Custom John Deere
DFI Infinity NF UlTRAII-M2 motherboard
20" Benq Monitor
320 gig Seagate hard drive, 1000gig internal Western Digital, 500gig MyBook
My John Deere Case==> http://hickfarm.com/blog/?cat=7
Old 05-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
Devious Techie

thought id put a couple more pics up... i never did put any of it actually assembled and lit up... so heres some of those :

and ill put a few more up (or maybe in the wire management thread and link it here?) once i redo the wiring for the final time... good stuffs - RK

Closed Thread