my new build. Some help needed. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > New Systems | Building and Buying
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default my new build. Some help needed.

Hi there. Just been looking to get a new build and taking out some parts from my old PC so that I have 2 PC's. 1 to take away with me to university and 1 for home.

The new PC I am looking at is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Gigabyte GA P35-DS3P
300 Gb Seagate ST3300822AS Barracuda 7200.9, SATA300
Antec 900 - Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case w/o PSU

I will take the 7900gtx from my old PC to put in this one along with my sound card and 1 of the hdd.

I need some help in deciding what RAM to use. It needs to be DDR2 800mhz. I was lookign at some corsair ones but I been hearign a lot about these g skill and crucial RAM's etc... They seem to be cheaper too. I could do with some suggestions for this. Oh and I may plan on overcloking in the future too.

Also I need some help with power supply. Too many to choose from!!!!

The RAM and power supply have to be from a UK based shop to make life easy for me lol.

Oh and will stock cooling be sufficient for me? Should I replace the case fans with better ones? I want to keep my system as cool as possible without the need for watercooling. Is the stock HSF good for as long as I don't overclock?

EDIT: I know about the new line of core 2 duo's coming out but I don't see the point in waiting for them as there is not that much of a performance gain over the current ones from the reviews I have read. And I have no idea of how much the price drop will be for the 6600 that I am getting. If it is going to be like £20-40 then I won't bother waiting.

RAM: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator GT
Graphics: 2x Gigabyte GTX 260 Super overclocked
Sound: Asus Xonar D2X
PSU: 850W Corsair
Old 07-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: my new build. Some help needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake64_009 View Post
Hi there. Just been looking to get a new build and taking out some parts from my old PC so that I have 2 PC's. 1 to take away with me to university and 1 for home.

The new PC I am looking at is as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Gigabyte GA P35-DS3P
300 Gb Seagate ST3300822AS Barracuda 7200.9, SATA300
Antec 900 - Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case w/o PSU

I will take the 7900gtx from my old PC to put in this one along with my sound card and 1 of the hdd.

I need some help in deciding what RAM to use. It needs to be DDR2 800mhz. I was lookign at some corsair ones but I been hearign a lot about these g skill and crucial RAM's etc... They seem to be cheaper too. I could do with some suggestions for this. Oh and I may plan on overcloking in the future too.

Also I need some help with power supply. Too many to choose from!!!!

The RAM and power supply have to be from a UK based shop to make life easy for me lol.

Oh and will stock cooling be sufficient for me? Should I replace the case fans with better ones? I want to keep my system as cool as possible without the need for watercooling. Is the stock HSF good for as long as I don't overclock?

EDIT: I know about the new line of core 2 duo's coming out but I don't see the point in waiting for them as there is not that much of a performance gain over the current ones from the reviews I have read. And I have no idea of how much the price drop will be for the 6600 that I am getting. If it is going to be like 20-40 then I won't bother waiting.
get an e6750 instead... on july 22nd its 180$

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-02-2007, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

also for PSU get a Corsair 520, and g-skill hz, hk, or nq
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

corsair xms2c4 ram is cheaper than gskill HZ or Crucial Ballistix, for the time being.
EDIT: NVM, i just noticed that you are in the Uk, i dont know the prices overseas.
Old 07-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
corsair xms2c4 ram is cheaper than gskill HZ or Crucial Ballistix, for the time being.
EDIT: NVM, i just noticed that you are in the Uk, i dont know the prices overseas.
Well the ones your referring to, are they these ones:

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

If so they are about 5 or $10 cheaper than g skill. That to me is not much but which one is better the corsair or g skill hz?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
get an e6750 instead... on july 22nd its 180$
I don't want to bother with that as it is not that much better. I will bother with that if the e6600 does not drop down in price either. But if it does drop down then I will stick with the e6600 as it is cheaper and jsut as good. And yes it would seem the e6750 may be better for overclocking but I am not planning on overclocking too much when I do.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
also for PSU get a Corsair 520, and g-skill hz, hk, or nq

Is corsair a good power supply? And is 520 enough for future upgrade/overclocking?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Is corsair a good power supply? And is 520 enough for future upgrade/overclocking?
yes it is......

Old 07-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Corsair has some of the most stable power supplies, out there. I'd say the 620 is more futureproof.

3770K | ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 | DDR3-1600 16GB | CORSAIR 650D | CORSAIR HX 850W | CORSAIR H100 | SOUND BLASTER Z | ASROCK EXTREME4 GEN3

Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Quote:
Well the ones your referring to, are they these ones:

Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online from Scan Computers UK

If so they are about £5 or $10 cheaper than g skill. That to me is not much but which one is better the corsair or g skill hz?
yes, that is the ram i am talking about.
mixed results, man. i own both of them, and they both are excellent. they both get high overclocks, but i find that the xms2c4 retains tighter timings at higher speeds.
with the prices so close, it really comes down to a matter of opinion.
they're both good, and you will do well with either.