My new build, Opinions wanted

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
I took a look between the AsRock and asus and the price was close and have had great luck with Asus so I think I'll be going with it. Any how this is the build I'm planning. Was going to strip this system but really want to keep it going as I have use for the extra system, Have not decided if I'm going to use windows 7 or 8 just yet but still have a few weeks to decide. Have a good sized bonus coming so I figured it's time to finally get current on my system

MB
Newegg.com - ASUS Z87-A LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU
Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K
Ram
Kingston HyperX Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX16C10B1BK2/16X - Newegg.com
SSD for windows
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Storage HD
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB Cache SATA Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com
Case Now this one took a lot of though and plan to get the corsair water cooling but have not decided on which one but this case has a great place for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146081
Power supply
Will be putting my Corsair 650TX

GPU
Well have no link because I'm waiting for the GTX870 to be released so I'll be using my GTX470 until then and have a GTX 460 for my current system. As for optical I have a few NIB on the shelf so I'm set there. What do you all think and if you would change what and why will be looked at closely, Just to save a few $$$ isnt that much of a concern so if you have a better option for a little more I'd be happy to consider it.

Dauntae

Last edited:
I don't really expect them to be killer cards compared to the 780ti and Titan Black. I'm going to say maybe 20% improvement with serious improvements to power consumption. The 750ti suggests this.

I fixed the link for the case, It's the NZXT Tempest 410, The only real issue is the front fans sometimes have connection issues but I will probably just hard wire the front fans in if they are a issue. One thing I really like is all the USB plugs and headphone plugs are off to the side, Having them above the optical really bugs me because I usually have something plugged in and when I put a disk in I hate having to hold the wires out of the way.
As for the RAM that's a pretty good price and timing, Will change that on my wish list, Haven't seen those and wasn't sure about the brand but If you back them PP I'll trust them. Getting my bonus on the 6th so now I'm like a unctuous kid waiting to open his Christmas presents LOL.

Dauntae

Yea it's why I haven't bought the Corsair 200r. To some that isn't an issue but to me it is. Not because I use an optical drive (haven't for years) but because of the way I always setup my PC. My 2003 Raidmax has them on the bottom. They did it right for once lol.

Yea I back them. I had their DDR2 way back in the day when they used to break records left and right. They are usually the cheapest because of the brand *****s. If it doesn't say Corsair on them they think the performance will be so much worse or something. Only certain things do I stand behind a specific brand.

Well ordered the case today since NZXT isn't making the Tempest 410 any more, Would have LOVED to find the Tempest 410 elite with the window on the side and more included fans but NOBODY has that in stock any longer that I could find but not a big deal, the standard 410 is fine and I can add my own fans. Gee I think I may have 7-8 120mm sitting on the shelf for building others computers so I think I can handle it LOL. Now just to wait until the 6th to see how much of a bonus is actually being paid, They say between 5-7% of our yearly income so it's a good one this year but in the process of buying a house too so I can't go too crazy but I wish I could LOL. I'll give a little feedback on the case when it comes in

Dauntae

From personal experience I would go with a 240-250 GB SSD. Once titanfall comes out and I install that I'll be down to about 50GB's. Tough to get by on 120...

Also, Paying a premium for a brand new card doesn't make much sense to me. Graphics cards hold great warranties. I'm a big believer in used cards, picked up all 3 of mine second hand, all of them still under warranty from EVGA.

From personal experience I would go with a 240-250 GB SSD. Once titanfall comes out and I install that I'll be down to about 50GB's. Tough to get by on 120...

Also, Paying a premium for a brand new card doesn't make much sense to me. Graphics cards hold great warranties. I'm a big believer in used cards, picked up all 3 of mine second hand, all of them still under warranty from EVGA.

EVGA used to have a great warrenty and was the only brand I'd get due to that warrenty but sadly they no longer offer that warrenty, Was life time but now it's 3 years. I'm waiting on the 870 because I have the funds and want to buy it once and not have to worry about it for a few years before I need to upgrade, The newer cards are supposed to be slightly faster but run much cooler and much less power hungry.

Dauntae

Back
Top Bottom