My New Alienware ALX Rig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNiGHTMaRe89

In Runtime
So my buddy was getting rig of his 2 or so year old Alienware ALX rig and I picked it up off of him for $100.

It has the following:
AMD (939) FX-60 dual core oc/d to 2.61ghz
4 1gb Corsair Memory (one with the flashy lights)
3 100GB WD's
PNY 7600GT
Audigy 2 zs
Ultra 650w power supply
Koolance Liquid Cooling System

This rig is amazing, and for $100 bucks, I couldn't beat it. It came with a copy of XP 64bit, but I formatted it and installed 32bit Vista Business. I am going to upgrade later to Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I have a few questions though...

1. I know there is 4gb of mem installed, but why is only 3 showing in Vista? Is it because the version I have is 32bit and 32 bit only supports 3055?

2. I want to upgrade the video card. It has room to make a SLI setup so I was thinking, should I go with 2 XFX 8600GT's or non SLI/1 eVGA 8800GTS?

Those are all of my questions for now...I have been installing all my fave games including: COD, BF2, Doom3, Raven Shield, CS and a few others and I just love being able to max out all the settings and have no lag.

Surprisingly, Vista is running very smooth. I guess the 3 gigs of mem and 2.6 gb processor are actually doing their job! hah

this might be a crazy suggestion, but that FX-60 begs to be overclocked with its Unlocked Multiplier goodness, but if you have that rig in your sig (hey that rhymed :D) swap the 7600gt and the 6600gt and the CPU's and you can probably overclock like mad with the DFI Board in there and put the 7600gt back in the Alienware when you get your new video card and like sell the Alienware if you want (just a thought)

Hmm, well than I think I will go with the 8800GTS.

As for swapping and stuff. I am thinking about just taking the ASUS board in this Alienware Case and swapping it with my DFI. I wanted to keep the ASUS a8n since it has SLI, but ****, with the 8800GTS, I could care less...

What do you guys think?

Whats the difference between the two 8800GTS. One is 320bit and the other is 640mb...is the difference big?

Hmm, well than I think I will go with the 8800GTS.

As for swapping and stuff. I am thinking about just taking the ASUS board in this Alienware Case and swapping it with my DFI. I wanted to keep the ASUS a8n since it has SLI, but ****, with the 8800GTS, I could care less...

What do you guys think?

Whats the difference between the two 8800GTS. One is 320bit and the other is 640mb...is the difference big?

get the g92 8800gts (the 512mb and the 1gb, believe me big performance difference)

Get the GTS 512, otherwise you're better off with a GT 512. The GTS 320 and 640 are G80 architecture, while the 512's are the superior performing G92 architecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom