My home file storage - What do you think?

That's what I was getting at. Something to sit in a corner collecting dust holding storage really doesn't need to be so expensive or fancy. My file server consists of a bent case that was dropped, a cheap board, a 6000+, and a ton of space.

Exactly. As long as you have a lot of storage space and a good quality RAID card, the rest of the components can be fairly low-power; after all, since it's a server and it theoretically should be up all the time, you'd want as low-power as you could get to cut down on electricity costs.

I'm not going to knock someone for wanting ECC RAM and a server motherboard when they are building a server. It's pretty clear that the OP has some aspirations for this machine and spending some decent money on a server that could last 5+ years is a good investment.

I'm not going to knock someone for wanting ECC RAM and a server motherboard when they are building a server. It's pretty clear that the OP has some aspirations for this machine and spending some decent money on a server that could last 5+ years is a good investment.
If it was a server doing server tasks that is one thing, but a machine with a bunch of storage simply for Windows 7 networking doesn't require a whole lot. I have had my server setup for 4 years and my parts were either free or extremely cheap. The drives are 5900rpm I got on sale, I'm not using a RAID card, and I'm doing essentially the exact same thing he wants to do with over a grand worth of parts.

If it was a server doing server tasks that is one thing, but a machine with a bunch of storage simply for Windows 7 networking doesn't require a whole lot. I have had my server setup for 4 years and my parts were either free or extremely cheap. The drives are 5900rpm I got on sale, I'm not using a RAID card, and I'm doing essentially the exact same thing he wants to do with over a grand worth of parts.

I dont have access to any parts or whatever...

If you had to buy something for cheap that would last LONG what would you get?

The real reason I am choosing such an elaborate setup is because the adaptec card will not work with UEFI BIOS....

So I was thinking about going server class motherboards where they have not adopted the UEFI yet.

Cant seem to find any cheap ASUS or other reliable motherboards without UEFI....

Back
Top Bottom