My home file storage - What do you think?

You can, but before you install the OS this must be done.

They are suggesting free alternatives that will do the same thing, and save you $140 in the end.

so what you guys are telling me is that I cannot run a raid 5 array and then use the partitioner within windows to partition that raid 5 into "2 discs" (one for OS and one much larger for storage)

Nope, that is possible. I have a similar(ish) configuration: server with RAID 10 and RAID 5 on an adaptec card, OS is on the RAID 10 and since it is linux, it is split into multiple partitions.

I don't get why you are using such a fancy case that is essentially going to be stuffed in the corner and forgotten?? If it's a file server, then why use ECC RAM?

Seriously, if this is just going to be a file server then get a cheapo case with good cooling and filters (you will want it, or will wind up like me cleaning HDDs every 3-6 months), a cheap 1155 or AM3+ motherboard, a GOOD RAID controller, good 7200rpm drives, and a cheap but fast dual or tri-core CPU with 4GB of cheap RAM.

I don't get why you are using such a fancy case that is essentially going to be stuffed in the corner and forgotten?? If it's a file server, then why use ECC RAM?

Seriously, if this is just going to be a file server then get a cheapo case with good cooling and filters (you will want it, or will wind up like me cleaning HDDs every 3-6 months), a cheap 1155 or AM3+ motherboard, a GOOD RAID controller, good 7200rpm drives, and a cheap but fast dual or tri-core CPU with 4GB of cheap RAM.

ECC makes sense if he is concerned about data integrity, it might be overkill but it doesn't hurt

For a simple home file server, ECC RAM isn't really necessary. Neither is a full-fledged Xeon server board and such.

For a simple home file server, ECC RAM isn't really necessary. Neither is a full-fledged Xeon server board and such.
That's what I was getting at. Something to sit in a corner collecting dust holding storage really doesn't need to be so expensive or fancy. My file server consists of a bent case that was dropped, a cheap board, a 6000+, and a ton of space.

Back
Top Bottom