My First Performance Build, Will this Work? You tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

myztajay

Solid State Member
This is my first performance build and I'm working with a pretty decent size budget. It was pretty meticulous and alot more work then I thought. Anyways I'm here to find out if all my components will work well together or if they'll be incompatible, bottlenecking or are a bad money/quality ratio.

I will be using my system for alittle bit of gaming, but mostly for video editing, rendering (video/3d), sound editing, and all the day to day task (also I may be using unix.) That being said here's my build:

1. CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

2. MOBO: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67
Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

3. VIDEO CARD: GTX 460 (EVGA)
Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

4. RAM: Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Newegg.com - Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PX538G1600LLK

5. PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W
Newegg.com - CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

6. HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

7. CASE: Sentey Arvina GS-6400B
Newegg.com - Sentey Extreme Division GS-6400B - ARVINA Black and Blue Steel SECC Chassis 1mm / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Some things I wondering are:

I might decide to get a second V-card just for the heck of it, but right now I don't is the power supply to high to perform with my system, btw I will be over clocking the CPU. not by to much probably for 4ghz.

The mobo can only take dual channel memory, is the processor made for triple channel ram, which I've read has no major advantage to it yet. And will it work with the dual kit I'm buying or will I need to change MOBO?

The arvina computer case looks great and bring a ton of cooling, the only bad thing about it is, their are no review on it. Does anyone own this case or can anyone vouch for this company?

and Finally it's going to sound silly but looking the picture I couldn't really discern and It says it in the description. But will this mobo be able to take 2 gtx 460's there's only 1/pci express slot, but physically looks like 2 small slots and it say 16 pci express 2.0 slots, but physically I see 3. So wtf lol.

Also does Window xp have a 64bit version and If so does it have a lot of support with programs, drivers, etc because not feeling windows 7. Would it also be able to utilize ram past 2 and 4 gigs?

thanks in advance guys.

The power supply that you have listed will be enough for the current system, and also future upgrades if you ever decide to get another video card.

Get an aftermarket cpu cooler if you are overclocking.

This cpu is only made for dual channel, which is why the motherboard only does dual too.

The motherboard can do sli with 2 video cards. If only using 1 video card, the speed will run in 16x mode. While with 2 video cards, the speed will be divided between the two running at 8x mode for both.

Windows xp does have a 64bit version, but support for it might be outdated. You really should run windows 7, why pair up a new system with an old OS. You have to run 64bit OS, to utilize ram more than 4GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom